|Add a new lesson / test|
Get a free English lesson every week! 2 MILLION subscribers!
- English translator
- Our other sites
Learn English > English lessons and exercises > English test #105524: We'd still like to work on more tenses ...(2/2)
We'd still like to work on more tenses ...(2/2)
Tenses, tenses ! ... We'd still like to work MORE on tenses ....
Mixed tenses, linked to the past, especially !
* Remember, I started telling you a story : I'll go on ! The tense used for that narration will still be the simple past.
ex : The poor seamstress wanted to buy flowers to herself, a huge heap of flowers ...
* In that narration, we have met the 2 forms of preterites. (simultaneously or not !),
long action (the important one) => preterite in -ing and short action => simple past
ex : She was picking and choosing all sorts of extraordinary flowers ...
* We have seen actions happening before an action in the simple past ; Then, it was in the past perfect simple (or in -ing if we wanted to insist on the length of the action)
had + verb in the past participle or had + been + verb + ing
ex: She had saved enough money to realize her dream.
ex: Forever, she had been living a dull uneventful life !
* We could use a future (if the action wasn't done yet !)
ex : What will her landlady think of this unexpected delivery ?
* If the action had a link with the past, we used the conditional = would + verb (it gets on well with the past !)
ex : She wouldn't spend her little money on flowers.
* We have also met prepositions, preceding a verb => preposition +V+ing ('before going shopping')
... and adverbs following them : 'she was grateful for having...'
* We have also used gerunds, and present et past participles ... (She started scrimping ...) (She had bought ... ), a few passive forms, too. What a pleasure !
Are you ready to follow Myrtle's great adventure with still many verbal forms, all mixed up for your own good ?!
May the Force be with you !
English exercise "We'd still like to work on more tenses ...(2/2)" created by here4u with The test builder
Click here to see the current stats of this English test [Save] [Load] [?]
End of the free exercise to learn English: We'd still like to work on more tenses ...(2/2)
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Conditional and hypothesis | Future | Past | Plu-perfect | Find the correct tense | All our lessons and exercises