Click here to log in
4 million accounts created!
JOIN our free club and learn English now!
Get a free English lesson every week! 2 MILLION subscribers!
- English translator
- Our other sites
Learn English > English lessons and exercises > English test #106510: Learn and remember
Learn and remember
Here is one of the first confusions made by beginners. It's very irritating for teachers in the long run, because, very often, this confusion tends to be lasting ....
Once again, the confusion is caused by the fact that students and learners are often tempted to think in their own language and then, try to translate into English.
I) First LEARNING, GETTING OR GIVING KNOWLEDGE OR SKILLS...
1) To learn = study (like a pupil, a student).
ex : Did you learn German at school, or at home ? I learnt it with my parents.
2) To teach = profess, instruct ( like a teacher or a coach).
ex : I'll teach you tennis, and she'll teach you Lacrosse ...
3) To inform = to give information : to tell, to report ...
ex : I'll tell you about his arrival as soon as I know more about it.
4) To be told = receive information : to hear about something
ex : Have you heard about my cousin ' s wedding ?
II) Then, TO REMEMBER, TO RECALL, TO RECOLLECT ...
1) To remember = to recollect : to recall ...
* remember + noun => I remember the good times we had !
* remember + pronoun => You remember them, don't you?
* remember + verb : * verb + ing ; accomplished action.
ex : I remember meeting them in London.
* verb + infinitive ; action to be done.
ex : Remember to pay your taxes before the 15th ...
2) To remind = to evoke, to bring to mind.
* Remind somebody of somebody.
ex : She reminded me of my promise to her. .
* Remind somebody to do something
ex : Remind him to phone her mother when he arrives.
English exercise "Learn and remember" created by here4u with The test builder
Click here to see the current stats of this English test [Save] [Load] [?]
End of the free exercise to learn English: Learn and remember
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Frequent mistakes | Synonyms | All our lessons and exercises