|Add a new lesson / test|
Click here to log in
4 million accounts created!
JOIN our free club and learn English now!
Get a free English lesson every week! 2 MILLION subscribers!
- English translator
- Our other sites
Learn English > English lessons and exercises > English test #107211: Far, Far from and others
Far, Far from and others
1) FAR isn't often used in the affirmative form : rather use 'a long way'.
ex : 'It' s a long way to Tipperary ....'
* In the affirmative form, it must be used in front of 'too', 'so', et 'as'.
ex: You've gone too far. You had to turn left at the traffic lights ...
ex : I went as far as I could, but I couldn't find him ...
ex: It's so far that I'll go there by car ...
2) In the interrogative and negative forms FAR is followed by 'from'.
ex : Do you live far from here ?
ex : Don't be frightened, I won't be far from you ...
3) The adjective 'far' has two comparatives and two superlatives :
- Far => farther ... than ... => the farthest
Farther is rather used to express 'concrete' distances.
ex : My home is farther away from work than your home ! You're so lucky ...
- Far => further ... than ... => the furthest
Further is rather used to express abstract 'distances'.
ex : Let's go further in this reasoning ...
4) In front of a comparative, FAR = much;
ex: Chinese is far more difficult to learn than English.
5) Far may express an idea of time : as far back as ...
ex : As far back as I remember, I've always known her ...
6) Expressions to remember :
- So far = up to now ; ex : So far, I haven't met him ... I hope to do so quickly ..
- As far as I know = to my knowledge... ; ex : As far as I know, she's an only child ...
- By far = considerably, to a great degree ; ex : She is by far, the best player in our team.
- As far as I'm concerned ... = As for me, ... = ex : As far as I'm concerned, I don't like him ...
- So far, so good = Up to now, everything 's OK. = ex : So far, so good, you should go on ...
- Few and far between = Few, rare ... ex : Such clever boys are few and far between ...
English exercise "Far, Far from and others" created by here4u with The test builder
Click here to see the current stats of this English test [Save] [Load] [?]
End of the free exercise to learn English: Far, Far from and others
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Speaking | Idioms | Synonyms | All our lessons and exercises