|Add a new lesson / test|
Get a free English lesson every week! 2 MILLION subscribers!
- English translator
- Our other sites
Learn English > English lessons and exercises > English test #108040: Like - As - and others...
Like - As - and others...
1) LIKE = a preposition + noun or pronoun ; then, it often expresses a ressemblance between people or objects.
ex: He isn’t dark-haired like your father… He’s more like you!
- used for a description :
ex: What’s your car like? It’s small and blue… and it’s brand new!
- used in the expression : to feel like + gerund: to crave for...
ex: I really feel like drinking a nice cup of strong coffee!
2) AS = conjunction + clause (subject + verb).
ex: As he told you, he’s never late.
ex: Do as you’re told, and don’t discuss, please!
To express these two sentences, in the United States, you will hear : ‘Like he told you’ or : ‘Do like you’re told’. These expressions are still not considered as correct in British English and for European exams … Avoid them at all cost (but you must know them !). (Do not get used to employing them as long as you have exams to take or important speeches to deliver for international business or sciences.)
- used in front of a title or a profession:
ex: As a doctor, he ordered you to stop smoking because of your asthma…
- the verbs : ’to regard’, ‘to consider’ are followed by ‘as’.
ex: He’s considered as the best pianist of his generation.
3) SIMILAR (+ TO) = adjectif whether epithet or attribute:
ex: Don’t worry ! His opinions are similar to yours…
4) Pay attention to the expressions: ‘the same… as’/ ‘not the same… as’.
ex: Don’t you think he has exactly the same eyes as his mother’s?
Though it's very easy, this test is long... Please, do not hesitate to have a pause (and save your work) as soon as you feel less concentrated! You can do it!
English exercise "Like - As - and others..." created by here4u with The test builder
Click here to see the current stats of this English test [Save] [Load] [?]
End of the free exercise to learn English: Like - As - and others...
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : AS or LIKE | Speaking | Frequent mistakes | All our lessons and exercises