Click here to log in
4 million accounts created!
JOIN our free club and learn English now!
Get a free English lesson every week! 2 MILLION subscribers!
- English translator
- Our other sites
Learn English > English lessons and exercises > English test #108545: Other - The others - Another
Other - The others - Another
1) OTHER: when it is an adjective, it is placed in front of a noun, and, of course, (like all other adjectives !)it is never in the plural.
ex: No thank you ! I don’t want this book; I’d like the other book, the red one!
ex: In no other place than here could you express such a shocking statement!
- When it is an adjective, other is placed before numbers:
ex: The first day after the operation was quite difficult, the other two were a little less painful.
2) THE OTHER: is preceded by the definite article : it's a pronoun which is treated like a noun. You must put an – s in the plural.
- in the singular :
ex: The One ... The other
ex: She has two kids: one is a dentist, the other is a surgeon.
- in the plural :
ex: Some ... (the) other/s
ex: During the party, some were talking, others were dancing.
3) ANOTHER: (=* AN+OTHER)=> always written in a single word (and ... never preceded by‘an’… …)
- is often followed by an uncountable in the singular.
‘another + the singular = '*an other' ...
ex: Would you like another piece of cake?
- Another is sometimes followed by a noun in the plural preceded by a number or by ‘few’.
ex: I’d like to stay another few weeks…
Choose the right answers in the exercise.
English exercise "Other - The others - Another" created by here4u with The test builder
Click here to see the current stats of this English test [Save] [Load] [?]
End of the free exercise to learn English: Other - The others - Another
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Adjectives | Speaking | Pronouns | All our lessons and exercises