Click here to log in
4 million accounts created!
JOIN our free club and learn English now!
Get a free English lesson every week! 2 MILLION subscribers!
- English translator
- Our other sites
Learn English > English lessons and exercises > English test #109971: Means and Results... First steps...
Means and Results... First steps...
Now, we're going to study a very idiomatic structure that foreigners don't use spontaneously or easily.
The first step of this study will correspond to the bases... let's say, the prelude.
1) Remoteness? Getting near?
You will first have to read test over, revising the difference between ‘Come and Go': like for many things, everything depends on perspective... on landmarks, the places where we are... and where we want to go...
- ‘I don't want to go to school today !' = I'm getting away from home, in order to go to school.
- "Joe, come down to say ‘Hello' to your grandparents, please." = The kid is upstairs and is asked to come towards the person who's speaking.
- Go out ! (if the speaker is inside) but ‘come out !' if the person who's speaking is outside.
2) Changing places: going from one place to another one using a method, a means, a manner, in order to reach a result (a place, a direction, a location.)
a) Ways of changing places: they are multiple, almost infinite...
to walk, to run, to rush, to stroll, to jump, to hop, to stagger, to shuffle, to plod/ trudge/stomp/stamp,... and many others...
to swim, to crawl, to limp, to bike, to drive, to zoom, to fly, etc.
All these verbs indicate a WAY of changing places.
b) Place of arrival...
- It may be expressed by a particle (‘Go out !') or a preposition + Noun =‘...up the stairs' ; ‘...out of the house.'
- He jumped over the gate and fell down.
- Pat flew to New York City and back in 2 days.
That's it... for now! Easy, isn't it?
... Simply because you have to learn how to walk before you want to run! Go for it!
English exercise "Means and Results... First steps..." created by here4u with The test builder
Click here to see the current stats of this English test [Save] [Load] [?]
End of the free exercise to learn English: Means and Results... First steps...
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Speaking | Infinitive | Prepositions | All our lessons and exercises