|Add a new lesson / test|
Get a free English lesson every week! 2 MILLION subscribers!
- English translator
- Our other sites
Learn English > English lessons and exercises > English test #110785: It's time... in all its forms
It's time... in all its forms
1. It's time = the moment has come to do something
- It's time to leave for the airport. Our plane is to take off in three hours.
It's time is very often followed by a complete infinitive clause.
It's high time = it's really the moment to do something
The modal preterite doesn't express a past tense.The sentences in this mode indicate that the action isn't really taking place at the present moment, but that the action may become real in the future. It's called the unreal present.
- It's time he understood that he is responsible for his future. ( = at the moment, he cannot understand, but perhaps he will, one day... => modal preterite.)
- It's the first time I have eaten in a Russian restaurant.
* Following the sequences of tenses, this expression is followed by a past perfect when it's introduced by it was the time:
- It was the first time he had apologised to his father.
Here you are! You know what's necessary to know, now... Good luck!
English exercise "It's time... in all its forms" created by here4u with The test builder
Click here to see the current stats of this English test [Save] [Load] [?]
End of the free exercise to learn English: It's time... in all its forms
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Speaking | Idioms | Family | All our lessons and exercises