|Add a new lesson / test|
Get a free English lesson every week! 2 MILLION subscribers!
- English translator
- Our other sites
Learn English > English lessons and exercises > English test #17620: Articles and Time 2
Articles and Time 2
We use the and a/an in the usual way when we talk about the morning/
afternoon/evening of a particular day:
- I woke up with a sore throat,and by the evening my voice had disappeared.
- we're going in the afternoon.
- you look upset.'yes,I've had a terrible morning.
However,we use zero article with at night and by night. compare:
- she kept us awake all through the night.
- I don't like driving at night.
We use zero article with midnight,midday, and noon:
- if possible,I'd like it finished by midday.
We usually use zero article when we talk about meals:
- what have we got for dinner?
- I don't like drinking coffee at breakfast.
We wouldn't say,for example,'I had a/the breakfast before I went home'
however,if we want to describe a particular meal,then we can use an article:
- we didn't get up until 10 o'clock and had a late breakfast.
- the dinner we had at Webster's restaurant was marvellous.
When we talk about a formal dinner or lunch for a special occasion,we use 'a dinner' or 'a lunch':
- we're having a dinner to welcome the new manager.
*study these extracts from a newspapers and decide which of them need an article (the or a/an).
English exercise "Articles and Time 2" created by anonyme with The test builder
Click here to see the current stats of this English test [Save] [Load] [?]
End of the free exercise to learn English: Articles and Time 2
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topics : Articles | Dates, days, months, seasons | All our lessons and exercises