Click here to log in
4 million accounts created!
JOIN our free club and learn English now!
Get a free English lesson every week! 2 MILLION subscribers!
- English translator
- Our other sites
Learn English > English lessons and exercises > English test #95539: Past Perfect Simple or V-ing
Past Perfect Simple or V-ing
Past Perfect simple
- for actions that happened before a past event :
The performance had already started by the time we arrived.
- to refer to activities that were completed before a point of time :
By 2010, Tom had lived in that village for six years.
- to express an action taking place before a certain time in the past :
( to put emphasis only on the fact, not the duration )
By the time I arrive at your house, I had already visited your grandparents.
- when explaining or giving a reason for something in the past :
I had eaten three sandwiches so I wasn't hungry.
- conditional sentences, TYPE III :
If I had known you were in need, I would have helped you.
- when expressing dissatisfaction with the Past :
( ' I wish ' , ' If only ' )
I wish I had eaten more soup. I am hungry now.
If only I had taken more soup. I am hungry now.
- when formulating the passive voice we use - had + been + past participle :
The cake had been made.
Past Perfect V-ing
- this is like the Past Perfect but it expresses a longer activity in the past before another activity in the past :
I was absolutely exhausted. I had been mending the roof.
- to show something that had been happening before something else :
I had been playing football for 2 hours when my friend arrived.
- to express something that had been happening over a period of time in the past until another point :
He fainted because he had been riding a bike for five hours.
- to express something that had been happening in preparation for something else :
I had been studying for five days and I was ready for the exam.
- we use this tense in conditional Type III to show imagined conditions :
If I hadn't missed the bus, I wouldn't have been late for the exam.
- to refer to an activity that was in process :
By the time they got to the pub, we had already been waiting for 2 hours.
English exercise "Past Perfect Simple or V-ing" created by greg100 with The test builder
Click here to see the current stats of this English test [Save] [Load] [?]
End of the free exercise to learn English: Past Perfect Simple or V-ing
A free English exercise to learn English.
Other English exercises on the same topic : Plu-perfect | All our lessons and exercises