Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Riff off/ meaning

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Riff off/ meaning
    Message de lilith posté le 31-01-2016 à 13:20:17 (S | E | F)
    Hello,
    Would anyone be so kind as to enlighten me upon the meaning of the verb 'to riff off', especially when it is used in the context of such a sentence as this one:
    'Not only does Porter trace the trajectory of a family’s grief, a trajectory interrupted and reshaped by the arrival of the phantasmagoric “Crow”, but he also captures some beautiful truths about love and loss, provides a kind of Ted Hughes starter pack for those who have not read him (or an irresistible reminder to revisit him for those who have), while also riffing off Emily Dickinson, the conventions and clichés of grief, and the recent history of birds in literature – and he somehow manages to do all of this without lapsing into either saccharine sentimentality or opaque erudition.'

I could not find it anywhere in the dictionary... Could you please send me the French translation of it as well, if fortunately you happen to know it?
    Thank you very much for your help!
    Sincerely.

-------------------
    Modifié par lucile83 le 31-01-2016 13:33

Réponse: Riff off/ meaning de sherry48, postée le 31-01-2016 à 19:17:54 (S | E)
    Hello.
    It's a term I've heard in the world of music. It seems it's the same in French, although 'riff off' isn't mentioned in particular. Take a look at these links.
    Lien internet

Lien internet

Sherry

Réponse: Riff off/ meaning de lilith, postée le 06-02-2016 à 12:47:32 (S | E)
    A thousand thanks, Sherry! These links were very helpful indeed!

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais