Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

<< Retour au forum || Aller tout en bas

English only
All your questions about the English language, no French allowed.

Ce sujet est fermé, vous ne pouvez pas poster de réponses

Two questions
Message de stefke posté le 27-03-2006 à 20:08:05 (S | E | F | I)

Hello, I have two questions for the English native speakers. I am sorry that the questions don't have any link but it enables me to open only one topic.

1) It is about "worth". Is it a verb or something else?

What is the good form: It worths the price I bought it.
or: It is worth the price I bought it.

2) I was wondering if whether the English native speakers understood the songs of Eminem,Sean Paul or 50 cents when they heard it without the lyrics. Because sometimes they speak so fast that even with the lyrics I can't follow them .

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 28-03-2006 07:51

Réponse: Two questions de lucile83, postée le 28-03-2006 à 14:50:10 (S | E)
Hello,
I'll answer you though I'm not an English native speaker, sorry for that !

"worth" is a preposition and I would say "it's worth the price.."

Concerning the songs I'm afraid to let you know I never listen to that sort of music.

See you soon

Réponse: Two questions de magmatic_rock, postée le 28-03-2006 à 16:08:55 (S | E)
Hello stefke,

Do you understand something when you listen to "la FF, ROFH...." all that kind of music in French? It's a rap, so their langage is rude and very informal but you understand, although I've to confess that I can't get them at times!
Well, this is the same for an English native speaker!
I've got a very good friend who he is, and sometimes he doesn't get the meanning of a phrasal but he can understand almost the entire song!
That's pretty normal, isn't it?

Well, if someone swings by here, can he tell me whether I can say "this is the same" or I'm required to say "this is the same THING"?

Thanks a lot (smyleys don't work, that's a shame!)

Réponse: Two questions de stefke, postée le 28-03-2006 à 18:36:50 (S | E)
Yes, I see. Thank you very much! It was just to know whether it was the same (thing ?).

I don't listen to "La FF" but it's true that I understand Rohff, Diam's or Didiz La Peste. But Sean Paul is the only one (French,English or other) who gives me the feeling that when he begins a verse, he's already at the end two seconds later

-------------------
Modifié par stefke le 28-03-2006 20:21

Oh I forgot, there is one french song which when I heard it for the forst time, I didn't catch any word! It was a song from "Psy for de la rime". I even wonderer whether it was french or a dialect. Then, when I heard it again, I understood a few sentences but I needed the lyrics to understand all the song...

Réponse: Two questions de traviskidd, postée le 28-03-2006 à 23:07:36 (S | E)
I love Eminem (even though I'm too old for that and should know better! ) but a lot of his lyrics are hard to understand! But in a way it's like listening to a French song for me; if I listen to it while reading the lyrics, I will think "Of course that's what he is saying!" but without the lyrics it is much more difficult!

Sean Paul does a very heavy Caribbean/creole accent; it's almost impossible for me to understand him!

The only song I know by 50 Cent is "It's Your Birthday" ... it's a very good song (if rather crude) and I can understand the lyrics well, although he uses quite a few idioms that would require an understanding of (black) American culture.

To answer your first question stefke, "worth" is a preposition, although a rather unusual one; it really only goes with the verb "to be worth" (valoir). And I would say "It is worth the price (that) I bought it for." or "It is worth the price (that) I paid for it."

Réponse: Two questions de willy, postée le 29-03-2006 à 10:57:06 (S | E)
Hello !

"Worth" is an adjective which means "equal in value to" :

- How much is it worth ? It's worth a great deal.
- It's not worth the paper it's written on.
- What's it worth to you ?

"Worth" can mean "deserving" :

- It was well worth the trouble/the effort.
- It's worth thinking about.
- If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.
- That's worth knowing.
- London's worth visiting.

Réponse: Two questions de aimen7, postée le 29-03-2006 à 12:42:29 (S | E)
Hello,
"Well, this is the same for an English native speaker!"
To answer your question magma, I would say that: "this is the same for..." or "this is the same thing for..." mean quite the same thing. It's just the same.
In "this is the same", same is a pronoun and in "this is the same thing", it is an adjective because followed by a noun. This is the difference.

Réponse: Two questions de stefke, postée le 29-03-2006 à 17:04:08 (S | E)
Thanks to all of you

Ce sujet est fermé, vous ne pouvez pas poster de réponse.

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux