Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

<< Retour au forum || Aller tout en bas

English only
All your questions about the English language, no French allowed.

Ce sujet est fermé, vous ne pouvez pas poster de réponses

Global-warming
Message de calvinc posté le 03-04-2006 à 09:13:36 (S | E | F | I)

For few years, you can ear and read many things about global-warming. This topic raises many controversies.
The usual argument put forth by global-warming skeptics for why we should'nt rush to do anything yet is that the science behind climate change is uncertain, and in fact it is. But all the while, polar ice caps are melting faster than ever, more and more lands are being devastated by drought (Ethiopia for example), and rising waters are drowning low-lying communities (India for example). There's about ten years, global-warming scenarios, that will eventually happen, won't take place before a period of several thousand years, and people didn't seem concerned. But recently, many scientists suggest that it could happen in a few hundred years. In Time magasin (february 27,2006) i have read an article about the melt and the slide of the ice in Greenland into the ocean, which would cause a rise of sea level. Michael Oppenheimer, a professor of geosciences and international affairs at Princeton, answers this : « that's a few feet per century, which may not sound like a lot, but it's more than society can handle. In places like the eastern seaboard of the U.S., a foot (30 cm) vertical rise in sea level means a one hundred feet (30.5 m) retreat of shoreline. » So imagine in low lying countries like Maldive or Bangladesh, the resulting flooding could dwarf the 2004 tsunami. Others consequencies are : a decreasing of reflection from raies sun and their energy ; the melt of polar ice caps could change salinity and temperature water which replenishes ocean currents like the Gulf Stream, which is the only reason much of Western Europe has so mild and temperate climate.
Global-warming is a huge problem which concerns everybody. Here, i have talked only about polar ice caps which are melting faster than ever, but we can notice that the ice of many glaciers (in France or in the South American Andes) is retreating at least several meters per year, while others suffer from drought.
Even if few people are little doubt that humans are helping heat up the planet, because they don't want admit their responsabilities and change their habits, it's now urgent to find solutions but for this we need to act together and we need that each countries act in the same aim. It won't be easy but for us, our children, our grandchildren and all animal or vegetal species on the earth we must react.
We have only one world to play with.
You could talk about the consequences of global-warming, or the changes we could make to slow down process.

Réponse: global warming vocabulary de calvinc, postée le 04-04-2006 à 15:45:10 (S | E)
Nobody seems interested by in my topic "global warming" on the forum in English only, may be my text is too long(er) or too difficult, say tell me.
Here, I give you a few words, if you want some other traduction translation ask me :

to put forth : produire
to melt : fondre
drought : sécheresse
to rise : augmenter
to drown : noyer, se noyer
low-lying area: terre située à faible altitude
the slide : le glissement
flood : inondation
shoreline : littoral
to replenish : remplir, réapprovisionner
ocean current : courant océanique
to slow down : ralentir
process : processus

Have a nice afternoon
-------------------
Modifié par bridg le 04-04-2006 15:48
Hello
It's not too hard, don't worry and we have got a dictionary,perhaps we don't want to discuss about this subject.
See you

Réponse: Global-warming de soso5927, postée le 10-04-2006 à 16:45:04 (S | E)
It is not that your topic isn’t interesting … It is huge.
It puts into reconsideration almost everything in our modern life…so of course it is disturbing.
And some remarks from scientists regarding the fact there are no proof that human’s activity is responsible for global warming doesn’t help people’s introspection.
A Mum doesn’t need the proof of research to tell if her child is not well even if a doctor can’t find any causes. Researches sometimes involve too many parameters to prove a point. Nevertheless local people can tell that there is more flood, less fish(es) in the sea , less water running in the river and so on….(Anyway I thought that global warming and the beginning of industrialisation were two parallel(s) curves ?)
Actually I am not too worried about global warming. If I have to be wiped out from this planet it might as well be by mother nature. It would only be fair and would put back things into perspective.
What really concerns me is the rise in violence. My deep fear is that it will not need very much for people to start frantic attack on each other for minor reasons.
Our race has been very successful and has often in natural world it has been at the expense of the environment and of others species. So, may be, what we need is to be a bit less of us….and the impact on earth will be reduced. Well, who will go first then.. ?

-------------------
Modifié par soso5927 le 10-04-2006 16:48
-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 10-04-2006 17:05

Réponse: Global-warming de magmatic_rock, postée le 10-04-2006 à 17:10:08 (S | E)
Hello soso,

you wrote "Actually I am not too worried about global warming", and unfortunately you should! Not for you ok (and it would even be matter to discuss) but for your line of descent!

I don't want to explain myself about this subject because it'd take to me too much time while I could write many pages!
Just to tell those who are interested in global warming, just read scientific publication before saying such things!

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 10-04-2006 17:14

Réponse: Global-warming de soso5927, postée le 10-04-2006 à 18:02:05 (S | E)
Well if your wish is to open a dialogue on the subject you should explain yourself.
I was answering to your 2nd message why people don’t answer to your very deep, very serious topic. And my answer is very clear nothing to worry about because we will have too many problems to resolve before the consequences of global warming start to affect us , which includ violence. And the second solution to the problem I was suggesting in this open mind dialogue, is reducing the population.

-------------------
Modifié par soso5927 le 10-04-2006 18:03

-------------------
Modifié par soso5927 le 10-04-2006 18:05

Réponse: Global-warming de nick27, postée le 18-04-2006 à 17:50:17 (S | E)
Hello there !

As Magmatic_rock said I think we should care about this global warming because everyone is concerned by this problem. If we don't make anything there will be some other big problems on earth within a few years.
For example : Nowadays, because of this global warming and because of the greenhouse effect, a lot of animals are in danger of dying off but there're a lot of other problems like this one.
So, I just want to say that everyone should care about that and maybe we could try to do something to put it right...

See you
Nicolas.

Réponse: Global-warming de calvinc, postée le 19-04-2006 à 10:06:34 (S | E)
hi everybody
Personally, I've chosen this topic because I find that global warming stars to affect us. I'm worried when I see pictures take in 1928 and in or more closer of us, the alpin Glacier of Morteratsch between 1911 and 2001. And during the twentieh century, mercury has rised of an half degree celcius and could reach two or three degrees celsius by another century. It looks like nothing two degrees but do you know the difference between an ice period and today ? Fifteen or thirty degres ? No ! Four or six not more !!
There aren't only housegreen gas which are responsible for gobal warming. We take also sun into account, of which the turbulence is responsible for third if not half of global warming watched for the start of the twentieth century. The turbulence is eruptions of gas at the surface of the sun, which are happened by the melting of atoms in depths of the sun. The more turbulence is intense, the more magnetic fiel dis increased and the more sun activity is strong. Like this, when the sun activity is rising, consequences on the earth's climate are striking. Indeed, more there is turbulence, more the sun gives out light, ultraviolet rays and solar wind, so which, in the end, contributes towards global warming.
We can't do anything about the sun activity, but about greenhouse gas.
thank you for your answers
calvinc

Ce sujet est fermé, vous ne pouvez pas poster de réponse.

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux