Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

<< Retour au forum || Aller tout en bas

English only
All your questions about the English language, no French allowed.

CLIQUEZ ICI POUR REPONDRE A CE SUJET

Burns Supper
Message de babyscot59 posté le 16-01-2007 à 15:56:29 (S | E | F | I)

Hya wee Scottish people,

Next week, we will celebrate the Burns' Supper in Scotland on the 25th. I remind you that it is to pay tribute to Robert Burns a 18th century poet who wrote about the grandeur of his country in a time when its identity was not praised. It is a time of dancing and singing Robert Burns' poems, it is the day when Haggis is being eaten with also mashed turnips. Some people also drink whisky but it is not compulsory!!

Here are some little poems I found:

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face, (sonsie = cheeky)
Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
Aboon them a' ye tak your place, (aboon = above)
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy o' a grace
As lang's my arm.
The groaning trencher there ye fill,
Your hurdies like a distant hill, (hurdies = hips)
Your pin wad help to mend a mill
In time o' need,
While thro' your pores the dews distil
Like amber bead.
His knife see rustic Labour dicht, (dicht = wipe)
An' cut you up wi' ready slicht, (slicht = skill)
Trenching your gushing entrails bricht,
Like ony ditch;
And then, O what a glorious sicht,
Warm-reekin, rich! (reeking = steaming)
Then, horn for horn, they stretch an' strive:
Deil tak the hindmaist! on they drive, (deil = devil)
Till a' their weel-swall'd kytes belyve, (kytes = bellies, belyve = soon)
Are bent like drums;
Then auld Guidman, maist like to rive, (rive = burp)
"Bethankit" hums.

Some people also go dancing in traditionnal Scottish Ceilihs which can be compared to Fest-Noz!
Have you ever heard of it? Have you ever taken part into one of these celebrations!
Don't be shy and tell us
-------------------
Modifié par bridg le 16-01-2007 16:12
Photo / mise en page

Réponse: Burns Supper de amigowhite, postée le 16-01-2007 à 22:35:15 (S | E)
Hello
Thanks for all this piece of information,it's a new one for me and ,sure ,for many others.I was thinking of writing a message in which I ask some members of the site,who are native speakers to teach us more about the English or American culture so that we could learn more and why not discuss the topics with each other.
It will be a kind of a club where the members could meet and learn from each others.I have some questions about the Burns' Supper :is it a kind of national celebration? Do all the Scotts celebrate it? And can you as scottish understand the words which you were obliged to explain in English?(is it scottish).Thanks

Réponse: Burns Supper de babyscot59, postée le 19-01-2007 à 13:31:25 (S | E)
Hya!

Indeed Robert Burns initiated the rebirth of the Scottish Identity, without talking about political issues that would be unfit here; we may say that the Scottish rediscovered their identity, their past and their culture.

Most of the Scottish celebrate that day which is very joyful and it is one of the best day for partying in Scotland, because it is a moment when People share a lot and have a lot of fun.

Concerning the language, it is indeed Scottish or so-called Scottish, basically it is a mixture of Gaelic and of English. It has its own grammar and its own vocabulary that may differ according to the place where you are. Most of them can understand it because Scottish is a language that is spoken at home, it was once a way to show one's disagreement with the English Language that threatened Scottish. Yet this has become a matter of culture more than a political issue. As a French speaker, I had difficulties to understand it but there exists a dictionnary to translate from English to Scottish

Cheers

Réponse: Burns Supper de babyscot59, postée le 22-01-2007 à 11:22:03 (S | E)
This subject seems to attract no one. That's no fair

Réponse: Burns Supper de magstmarc, postée le 22-01-2007 à 11:49:00 (S | E)
Don't cry Babyscot . It does interest me and I read every single word with much interest.
Quite a long time ago I read the "Imogene" books by Exbrayat, they speak about Scots and their historical heroes (perhaps in a caricatural way... but it's very funny).
I wanted to make a "quiz" about famous Scots but haven't had the time yet, still I started gathering information about some famous people; when I really start doing this quiz I will be very thankful to you, and other people too, if I can rely on you to answer some questions I may have about Scots and Scotland...I've never been there .
Thanks in advance

Réponse: Burns Supper de babyscot59, postée le 22-01-2007 à 12:45:03 (S | E)
This idea is a brilliant one! I will work on it and try to release an exercise next week!

Thanks a lot for answering

sébastien

Réponse: Burns Supper de lethidee, postée le 25-01-2007 à 22:10:49 (S | E)
Hello

Today it's Burn's Supper and I drink a toast to this famous poet from Scotland !

-------------------
Modifié par lethidee le 25-01-2007 22:12

Réponse: Burns Supper de babyscot59, postée le 26-01-2007 à 11:40:52 (S | E)
I will as well, unfortunately I didn't find any vegetarian haggis yet, I will rely on mash turnips and read some of Robert burns's verses

Oh sweet Scotland

Réponse: Burns Supper de amigowhite, postée le 26-01-2007 à 15:33:24 (S | E)
Hello babyscot again
Thank you for your reply, in fact I have another question about haggis I read somewhere that it's a meal based on an animal stomach ,maybe you can explain this detail to me or simply give me the recipe.Were you serious when you spoke about mash turnips.And I do apologize for all this ignorance.Thanks

Réponse: Burns Supper de babyscot59, postée le 26-01-2007 à 15:36:29 (S | E)
I teach my lesson:

If I remember well, it is made of sheep and composed only of sheep and some vegetables and it is very spicy. It is wrapped into the skin of the stomach and it is cooked with mash potatoes and mashed turnips.

Unfortunately, I am a vegetarian so I could not tell you the exact composition
-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 26-01-2007 15:41
I think I found it for you

Réponse: Burns Supper de lucile83, postée le 26-01-2007 à 15:40:32 (S | E)
Hello,
here it is :
Lien Internet

See you

Réponse: Burns Supper de babyscot59, postée le 26-01-2007 à 15:51:58 (S | E)

Réponse: Burns Supper de lethidee, postée le 26-01-2007 à 22:16:50 (S | E)
Thank you Lucile

I know exactly where I'll book some very good haggis because I'm fond of this scottish meal

Réponse: My first Burns Supper de ninie57, postée le 01-02-2007 à 00:41:28 (S | E)
Hello, I experienced my first Burns Supper last Wednesday (24th). It was very interesting to try the haggis, and to participate to this type of traditional dinner. I really enjoyed, despite that I didn't understand everything, because of my poor english and particularly old Scottish.
If you know Robert Burns, and you can give me some more information about British traditions, or just to converse (because I need to improve), please, reply.

CLIQUEZ ICI POUR REPONDRE A CE SUJET

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux