Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

<< Retour au forum || Aller tout en bas

English only
All your questions about the English language, no French allowed.

Ce sujet est fermé, vous ne pouvez pas poster de réponses

Love
Message de jeanmi posté le 07-07-2005 à 10:42:03 (S | E | F | I)

Good morning every body,

I've just heard a song saying "I would do anything for love, but I won't do that." What does the singer mean by "that"? What wouldn't you do for love?

-------------------
Edité par jeanmi le 09-08-2005 16:22

Réponse: Love de grabuge, postée le 07-07-2005 à 11:14:48 (S | E)
Hi Jeanmi,

I'm happy to see you again but this time, I'm going to prepare two very good redactions. I want to tell you : without mistakes !

I'm going to try but I don't am not sure I'll be able to...

-------------------
Edité par serena le 11-07-2005 02:18

Réponse: Love de jula, postée le 08-07-2005 à 20:35:45 (S | E)
hello jeanmi and everybody!!

what wouldn't I do for love?? that is a great question to be asked!
I'd like to answer nothing, but the reality of life isn't like that!
There are so many things that are not to be accepted even if it is for love: for example a woman should leave her man if he kicks her, even if she's still in love with him
one should also not accept to be cheated... or to lose contact with friends or family, because the lover doesn't like them!

These are the only ideas which came up to my mind at the very end of the week and at the very beginning of the week-end!

see you soon !!

-------------------
Edité par jeanmi le 16-07-2005 20:54

Réponse: Love de aimen7, postée le 08-07-2005 à 22:58:38 (S | E)
Hello jeanmi,
Well, I'm trying to understand the question and when I do I'll answer your question.

Réponse: Love de serena, postée le 09-07-2005 à 01:46:45 (S | E)
Hello Jeanmi,

"I would do anything for love, but I won't do that."

It seems the singer has to make a choice, he's given an ultimatum by the one he (she) loves. So even if he's able to do anything for love, doing that thing is impossible.
Maybe he's asked to break off for some important reasons, in the name of love? Cause such things can happen too.

What wouldn't I do for love? I'd surely never kill.
Really hard a question. I have to think about it a little more.

See you.

Réponse: Love de aimen7, postée le 09-07-2005 à 13:20:10 (S | E)
Hello jeanmi and everybody,

I agree with serena , that question isn't easy to answer, maybe easier with its context.
"I would do anything for love, but I won't do that."
It reminds me of the famous song "Stop in the name of love before you break my heart".
Well, "that" refers to something the person has been asked for, a request he refuses to honour. Maybe a sacrifice. We may sacrifice for love.
There are many things that he might not do for love(lying, killing, hurting, deceiving, leaving a person alone...), but all these actions are negative ones. Of course I personally won't do them for love or for anything else.
The whole story depends on what he's been asked to do, is it something good or something evil.
You should give us more details about the song jeanmi to enable us to understand better the context of the words.

Réponse: Love de grabuge, postée le 09-07-2005 à 18:14:32 (S | E)
Hello Jeanmi

How difficult to answer this subject is !

I've never heard this song thus I don't know what the singer means by "that".
I strongly believe that all we are impacted by love because it's a very important feeling in our life. We need good human relations for being to be happy and havinge an opened mind.
But love also can be a destructive sense. I feel that I wouldn't do for love what my good meaning manners prevents me to do from doing. I wouldn't renounce my friends or family, disavow all the things at in which I believe. I wouldn't accept to live with another disrespectful or violent person even if I still loved this one. I wouldn't make illegal things like killing or stealing. In brief, I wouldn't lose my mental, physical and intellectual integrity for love.
But, in another context, I'm sure that, if I believe I'm all right, I would be able to kill for love.

Jeanmi

-------------------
Edité par grabuge le 11-07-2005 10:43

-------------------
Edité par jeanmi le 16-07-2005 20:59

Réponse: Love de jeanmi, postée le 16-07-2005 à 21:05:00 (S | E)
Hello

for your answers.
I don't remember the song, and anyway it seems to be interesting guessing what the author meant by "that". I wanted the question to be as wide as possible.
I, personnaly, wouldn't kill for love, not even jump rope. I'm not crazy!

see you...

Réponse: Love de lethidee, postée le 16-07-2005 à 21:32:06 (S | E)
Hello jeanmi

Can you explain me the expression "to jump rope". I dont' understand it.
Thanks a lot

Réponse: Love de serena, postée le 17-07-2005 à 05:08:06 (S | E)
Jump rope = le jeu du saut à la corde.
Is it right, Jeanmi? Unless you meant "passer la corde au cou"....

Either way, It's worth trying.

I found this topic a bit hard cause it's not so easy to talk about love. I mean true love, the one that makes you become really mad !
Saying what we'd do or not depends on many personal things. It's not obvious for everyone.

Anyway, thanks for the topic !

Réponse: Love de ananda, postée le 17-07-2005 à 12:36:57 (S | E)
They are so many different kinds of love, which one

-------------------
Edité par serena le 17-07-2005 14:50

Réponse: Love de jeanmi, postée le 17-07-2005 à 13:35:18 (S | E)
Good morning,

it was a bit late, and I said something wrong... I didn't mean "rope", but "bungee jumping", you know that game where you jump from a bridge (and not from Bridg... ).

Réponse: Love de kayrol, postée le 17-07-2005 à 14:06:04 (S | E)
Hello Jeanmi,
Very good question...but it depends on which love we are talking about.
I know several kinds of love. There is the love I feel for my parents and brother which is unlimited, undescribable, too deep to find the words. As I often say to them they are my three eyes ...Then there is the love I will feel for my child when I have one, and that one will be the strongest ever. And there is the love I feel for my husband which is more like an attachment.
For the first two above, I would do anything.
For the last one, there are so many things I wouldn't do that it would be too long to list but I give some examples...I would do the "elastic jump" or I wouldn't touch a big spider
See you
Kayrol

Réponse: Love de bigmc, postée le 19-07-2005 à 21:19:13 (S | E)

I'm very delighted to talk about love
I would do anything that can be right for love
cause love is given,love is for being given love is trusting and understanding.
you may (can) believe in love that will set you free

I'll do anything for love.

-------------------
Edité par serena le 21-07-2005 17:49

Réponse: Love de anglaistheatre, postée le 20-07-2005 à 10:42:34 (S | E)
The song is from Meat Loaf's Album "Bat out of Hell" It's very old!
I have always interpreted it as something sexual ... yes indeed the context is that he has asked her to do something and she is has been refusing what is was essentially a previous request.
The larger question 'what wouldn't one do for love?' is one that opens the question 'what is love?'

I personally like the Shakespeare quotation
'What is love, it is not hereafter
Present mirth hath present laughter"
Meaning that love is all about now, not the future.

Or John Lennon - "All you need is Love"

-------------------
Edité par serena le 21-07-2005 17:57

Réponse: Love de lethidee, postée le 21-07-2005 à 07:22:13 (S | E)
Hello

Love is universal and can't be divided, just offered.
Have a good day.

Réponse: Love de gieff, postée le 21-07-2005 à 16:01:08 (S | E)
'I could do anything for you...'
'ok, lets get married'
'well, maybe not everything'

'ok, lets go shopping'

'ok, lets have children'

'ok, don't call your mother today'

Réponse: Love de serena, postée le 21-07-2005 à 17:56:01 (S | E)
Jeanmi, I think Grieff answered that tough question.

Réponse: Love de jardin62, postée le 08-08-2005 à 21:50:53 (S | E)

I am at a loss for words...
Perhaps I don't know what love is yet.

I surely would never betray my friends.
I surely would never do harm to an animal.
I surely would never laugh at a child.
I surely would never prove that I love.
He who says 'do that if you love me'
doesn't deserve my love anyway.

Réponse: Love de serena, postée le 09-08-2005 à 06:57:04 (S | E)
Well....as for me, love is what you, Jardin, give everyday.

Really nice the way you say that.
But I'll surely prove that I love. Without forgetting my self-esteem. Though I think this won't be true love??...

Réponse: Love de traviskidd, postée le 09-08-2005 à 07:10:51 (S | E)
In fact the song is from the album "Bat Out Of Hell II: Back Into Hell", which is only about 12 years old.

It's a very good song.

In answer to the questions, I think the singer means that he won't try to find love from another woman. For me personally I don't see love as something to do something for. It simply is either felt or not.

Ce sujet est fermé, vous ne pouvez pas poster de réponse.

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux