Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Succeed in / with

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Succeed in / with
    Message from thanhhai97 posted on 09-06-2014 at 07:11:55 (D | E | F)
    Hello,
    I don't know why in this sentence "I hope you succeed with this research" they use 'succeed with'.
    If I use "succeed in", truth or false is it right or wrong?
    Thank you for any reply.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 09-06-2014 08:25

Re: Succeed in / with from lucile83, posted on 09-06-2014 at 10:54:09 (D | E)
    Hello,

You can use a dictionary
    Link

Link

Re: Succeed in / with from aian, posted on 09-06-2014 at 11:26:10 (D | E)
    Hello
    in my own opinion both the "succeed with this research" and "succeed in this research" have no grammatical error, but differ in meaning.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 09-06-2014 12:24

Re: Succeed in / with from thanhhai97, posted on 09-06-2014 at 14:25:23 (D | E)
    Aian, please explain the difference between "succeed in" and "succeed with".

Re: Succeed in / with from lucile83, posted on 10-06-2014 at 14:28:24 (D | E)
    Hello,

We generally use 'succeed in' in BrE.
    'Succeed with' is used in some sentences but I am wondering about it...
    Link

I don't think aian has any serious argument for what he said.

Re: Succeed in / with from here4u, posted on 10-06-2014 at 14:44:12 (D | E)
    Hello

You can succeed with your research, succeed with men or women ... => + Noun
    but I'd say succeed in doing something : succeed in implementing a research ; succeed in passing your exam ! => + Verb ...

Re: Succeed in / with from yazahra1, posted on 11-06-2014 at 18:04:23 (D | E)
    ok .
    succeed in doing something is correct not succeed with doing something

Re: Succeed in / with from clint01, posted on 11-06-2014 at 19:23:01 (D | E)
    Hello here4u,
    What you say makes sense. I usually say succeed with 'something' and succeed in 'doing' something.
    But unfortunately there are exceptions to every rule I suppose. Because in the dictionary I use it says "A woman who succeeded in politics".
    I am not quite certain if I am supposed to (allowed to) mention the name of the dictionary because I quoted the phrase above from it.

Re: Succeed in / with from violet91, posted on 11-06-2014 at 22:44:13 (D | E)
    Hello ,
    succeed at something
    to prosper or flourish in some task. I hope I can succeed at the task you have assigned me. I am sure you will succeed at it.

Re: Succeed in / with from thanhhai97, posted on 12-06-2014 at 04:03:38 (D | E)
    Oh, thank you very much everybody!!

Re: Succeed in / with from here4u, posted on 12-06-2014 at 09:56:17 (D | E)
    Hello !
    Well ! If necessary, that gives us one more example of the complexity of all languages and of English in particular ... Let's stop being too rigid and let the language change a little ... even if our 'guts are ripped off', sometimes ...'(sigh!)

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only