Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

'fish' et 'fishes' (1)

<< Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE

'fish' et 'fishes'
    Message de mastery posté le 15-08-2008 à 17:17:09 (S | E | F)

je souhaite savoir à quel moment l'on ecrit fish avec "s" et qu'est ce que cela désigne en ce moment? merci de votre attention

Réponse: 'fish' et 'fishes' de lucile83, postée le 15-08-2008 à 17:45:51 (S | E)
    Hello,
    Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary online:
    fish
    noun (pl. fish or fishes). Fish is the usual plural form. The older form, fishes, can be used to refer to different kinds of fish.
    From childhood memory of the Christian gospel, I think the English versions of the feeding of the 5000 always refers to "five loaves" and "two fishes".

A link:
    Lien Internet

See you

Réponse: 'fish' et 'fishes' de TravisKidd, postée le 15-08-2008 à 18:16:51 (S | E)
    Of course the link appears to contradict your childhood memory .

Generally speaking, the plural of "fish" is "fish". However it is possible to use "fishes" for a literary/poetic effect. It is also possible to use "fishes" to refer to species/types of fish, but I think in this case it is better to say "species/types of fish".

Note however that the possessive forms are "fish's" for the singular and "fishes'" for the plural. And of course the third person singular conjugation of the verb "to fish" is "fishes".

Réponse: 'fish' et 'fishes' de lucile83, postée le 15-08-2008 à 20:56:32 (S | E)
    Sorry but I don't think there's a contradiction

POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE