Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Script video E Snowden/aide

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Script video E Snowden/aide
    Message de brettdallen posté le 27-09-2014 à 12:48:38 (S | E | F)
    Hello everybody,

I'm not used to asking for help but I'm currently working on whistleblowers and am particularly focused on E. Snowden at the moment and would like to create a file as complete as possible and as my time allows me on these people. I have written nearly half of the script of the famous interview with G. Greewald and have found some difficulties here and there. If anyone could give me any help I would deeply appreciate, as I'd like my job to be perfect. Thank you very much in advance for whatever you do for me. The tricky passages are highlighted. The video is entitled NSA Whistleblower Edward Snowden.

Lien internet

NSA/PRISM WHISTLEBLOWER EDWARD SNOWDEN

Interview by Glenn Greenwald (June 6, 2013)

Glenn Greenwald: Interviewer
    Laura Poitras: Filmmaker

E.S.: My name is Ed. Snowden, I'm 29 years old, I work for Booz Allen Hamilton as an infrastructure analyst for N.S.A. in Hawaii.

G.G.: What are some of the positions that you held previously within the intelligence community?

E.S.: I've been a systems engineer, a systems administrator, er.. senior advisor, er.. for the Central Intelligence Agency,solutions consultant and a telecommunications information systems officer.

G.G.: One of the things people are gonna be most interested in... in trying to understand what.. who you are and what you're thinking, is the (KING/KI:M) some point in time you crossed this line of thinking about being a whistleblower and to making the choice to actually become a whistleblower. (walk) people through that decision-making process.

E.S.: When you're in positions of..of privileged access like a systems administrator for the sort of intelligence community agencies, you're exposed to a lot more information on a broader scale than the average employee and because of that you see things that may be disturbing, but over the course of a normal person's career you'd only see one or two of these instances. When you see everything, you see them on a more frequent basis and you recognize that some of these things are actually abuses, and when you talk to people about them: "Aha!" In a place like this, where this is the normal state of business, people tend not to take them very seriously and, you know, move on from them, but over time that awareness of wrongdoings sorta (=sort of) builds up and you feel compelled to talk about it, and the more you talk about it, the more you are ignored, the more you're told it's not a problem, until eventually you realize that these things need to be determined by the public, not by somebody who's simply hired by the government

G.G.: Talking a little bit about how the American surveillance state actually functions, does it target the actions of Americans?

E.S.: Er...N.S.A., and the intelligence community in general is focused on getting intelligence wherever it can, by any means possible and it believes on the grounds of sort of a self-certification that they serve the national interest. Originally, we saw that its focus(ed) very nearly/narrowly tailored as foreign intelligence gathered overseas, now increasingly we see that it's happening domestically and to do that they... the N.S.A. specifically targets the communications of eveyone and ingests some/them by default, it collects them in its system and it filters them and it analyzes them then it measures them and it stores them for periods of time, simply because that's the easiest, most efficient, and most valuable way to achieve these ends. So while they may be intending to target someone associated with a foreign government or someone that they suspect of terrorism, they're collecting your communications to do so. And any analyst at any time can target anyone at/and any selector anywhere. Where those communications will be picked up depends on the range of the sense/censor of networks and the authorities that that analyst is empowered with, not all analysts have the ability to target everything. But I, sitting at my desk, certainly had the authorities to wiretap anyone, from you or your accountant, to a federal judge, to even the President if I had a personal e-mail.

G.G.: While the extraordinary parts about this episode is that usually whistleblowers do what they do anonymously and take steps to remain anonymous for as long as they can, which they hope often is forever, you, on the other hand, have decided to do the opposite, which is to declare yourself openly as the person behind these disclosures. Why did you choose to do that?

E.S.: I think that the public is owed an explanation of the motivations behind the people who make these disclosures (who are) outside of the democratic model. When you are subverting the power of government, that..that's a fundamentally dangerous thing to democracy, and if you do that in secret, consistently, you know, as the government does, when it wants to benefit from a secret action that it took, it'll kinda give its..its officials a mandate to go hey/hay, you know, tell the press about this thing and that thing so the public is on our side, but they rarely if ever do that when an abuse occurs; that falls to individual citizens. But they're typically malign(ed) (pernicieux/calomnier/diffamer), you know, it becomes a thing of these people are against the country, they're against the government, but I'm not. I'm..I'm no different from anybody else. I don't have special skills, er.. I'm just another guy who sits there day-to-day in the office, watching what's happening and goes "This is something that's not our place to decide, the public needs to decide whether these programs or policies are right or wrong", and I'm willing to go on with the record to defend the authenticity of them and say "I didn't change these, I didn't modify the story, this is the truth, this is what's happening, you should decide whether we need to be doing this."

-------------------
    Modifié par lucile83 le 27-09-2014 13:19
    Lien direct ajouté.

Réponse: Script video E Snowden/aide de bluestar, postée le 27-09-2014 à 14:41:38 (S | E)
    Hello,

There came some point in time...
    Walk people through... (that is, explain it step-by-step)...
    Its focus very narrowly tailored is....
    It ingests them by default..
    sensor networks...
    that are outside..
    to go hey, you know...
    maligned..OK
    on the record..

Hope this is helpful..

Réponse: Script video E Snowden/aide de brettdallen, postée le 27-09-2014 à 22:14:30 (S | E)
    Thank you very much Bluestar, it's been really helpful!

I can manage some accents, but when "ki:m" eventually means "came", then I happen to be in trouble... Thank you for your help! I've just done half of the job as I'd like to have the script of the whole interview, which is for me a genuine and most valuable document!

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais