Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Teaching English as a second language... (1)

<< English only || En bas

POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE

Teaching English as a second language...
    Message de karenmen posté le 30-04-2007 à 05:01:57 (S | E | F | I)

what is the difference between teaching English as a second language and teaching English as a first language????
    -------------------
    Modifié par lucile83 le 30-04-2007 06:07

Réponse: Teaching English as a second language... de sdtriton, postée le 30-04-2007 à 08:03:28 (S | E)
    I think "teaching English as a first language" means teaching English if it is your native language and "as a second language" if it isn't.

Réponse: Teaching English as a second language... de magstmarc, postée le 30-04-2007 à 08:23:45 (S | E)
    Well, not exactly
    I can only tell you about the French school system :
    In France, from ages 11 to 16 at least, two languages are compulsory.(there may be some exceptions now but this is the general case)
    One usually starts learning the "first language" at 11 and the "second language" at 13, but one of the languages has to be English.
    The first language is considered to be more important, but the second language is important too (for one's personnal culture, for one's future studies and also for examinations.)

Usually the choices below are available :
    English 1 + Spanish 2
    or
    English 1 + Italian 2
    or
    English 1 + German 2
    or
    German 1 + English 2

Some schools also offer Russian, Potuguese or Japanese, but this isn't common.
    One can also add Latin at 12.
    In fact kids start learning a little English in primary school too, from age 8 to 10.

Réponse: Teaching English as a second language... de jonquille, postée le 01-05-2007 à 00:29:40 (S | E)
    I agree with sdtriton.

In the USA, at least, English as a Second Language (ESL) is taught to those who do not have English as their native language.

In many states, these English classes are taught in the native language of the participants. In other states, where there are multiple languages represented in the classroom, English is the primary language of instruction, but everyday “working” vocabulary and grammar is stressed so that the students can be assimilated as quickly as possible into a classroom with other students having English as their native language.

Réponse: Teaching English as a second language... de magstmarc, postée le 01-05-2007 à 00:57:07 (S | E)
    OK, thank you, I didn't know that
    That would be called "French as a foreign language" in France (for those who are not native French speakers)

Réponse: Teaching English as a second language... de loic71, postée le 15-06-2007 à 16:48:17 (S | E)
    Hi,

I agree with magstmarc. I live in France, I don't know if you too.

We begin to learn a language at 11 years in average. During 2 years, we will learn our first language and after , our second language.

After 4 years, we have the choice to learn one language only or to add other languages.

Réponse: Teaching English as a second language... de kaki, postée le 15-06-2007 à 20:43:22 (S | E)
    Hello!
    Sorry, I don't agree with any of you.
    In Algeria, our first language is "Arabic". We learn it as from the age of 6 (first year of primary studies) and we begin learning the second language, "French", at the age of 7. English represents our third language. We start studying it when we are 12 years old.
    Learning all three languages is compulsory, up to the university (when we are free to choose).
    Thanks,
    Bye!
    -------------------
    Modifié par mp27 le 16-06-2007 16:20
    I can see your point, kaki.
    In Algeria, Arabic is "taught" as your first language - French, as your second language - and English, as your third language.

Réponse: Teaching English as a second language... de cchat, postée le 13-07-2007 à 12:02:21 (S | E)
    There are two well-known abbreviations:
    EFL and ESL
    EFL is English as a foreign language (and in France, English is often the first foreign language studied).
    ESL is English as a second language. It is taught in English-speaking countries to people whose first (or native) language is not English.
    EFL and ESL use different teaching techniques, as it is very different to study a language when you are living in a country where that language is the main language.

Réponse: Teaching English as a second language... de yous18, postée le 20-08-2007 à 22:55:57 (S | E)
    hi,i live in Algeria too and i agree with kaki
    it's true that english is compulsory for us but i think that our contry isn't foccus on it and she must because everyone knows that this language is vey important we need for a lot of things especially for hight studies and work

Réponse: Teaching English as a second language... de justrca, postée le 01-09-2007 à 14:04:11 (S | E)
    Hi, in morocco, it's not different to the Algerian system. but i don't think is the answer.
    when you teach english at a one don't speak him, you must explain to him how read, how write.that's for me less difficult because you must just try to show him the difference between the english that's heart and class english.

Réponse: Teaching English as a second language... de hadjerh, postée le 12-09-2007 à 11:05:17 (S | E)
    : Hi guys i can't judge any of you ,because every body has his point of view , but i think that the question below is not so difficult.My answer is that the difference is that: In teaching English as first lge as many countries do,students became aware of almost every rule of this lge ,it means learn it deeply,but in the case of second lge student can not be aware of all English rules,and of curse first case is easier than the second one for the student

POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE