Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

What's tense (1)

<< English only || En bas

POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE

What's tense
    Message de ase posté le 14-12-2007 à 08:47:58 (S | E | F | I)

My child asked me yesterday,"mother can you give me the meaning of I have dream" . I answered that we can't say i have dream rather i have dreamt. Because we can use the present perfect tense. What's your view. Thank you.

Réponse: What's tense de snaokw79, postée le 14-12-2007 à 09:15:05 (S | E)
    My child asked me yesterday, "mother can you give me the meaning of I have dream". We can't say I have dream rather I dreamd. Because we use the past tense.
    This is my answer.

Réponse: What's tense de williamengland, postée le 14-12-2007 à 10:40:29 (S | E)
    Hi Ase,
    There are two accepted variants in the past tenses in English for to dream.
    I dreamed or I dreamt. I have dreamed or I have dreamt.

You would not normally use the perfect tense in this case.
    A couple of possibilities ;
    Mother can you tell me the meaning of what I dreamt?
    But more usual ;
    Mother can you tell me the meaning of my dream?

You are right you cannot say ; "I have dream."
    William.

Réponse: What's tense de TravisKidd, postée le 14-12-2007 à 18:14:09 (S | E)
    Incidentally, "dreamt" is the only English word that ends in "mt".

Réponse: What's tense de kathytian, postée le 15-12-2007 à 03:34:48 (S | E)
    it's useful. i like study you said, i'm learning english, so thanks for your help.

Réponse: What's tense de zodiac97500, postée le 15-12-2007 à 03:50:20 (S | E)
    bonsoir

N'est'il pas possible de dire ( I have a dream ! ) Dans le sens de : Je rêve de faire un beau voyage ? par exemple

I have a dream ! I hope I can make a wonderful journey some day !
    J'ai un rêve ! J'espère pouvoir faire un beau voyage un jour .

N'es ce pas le début d'un des discours de Martin Luther king ? Qui commence par ces mots ?

Réponse: What's tense de TravisKidd, postée le 15-12-2007 à 22:16:01 (S | E)
    Oui bien sûr ... "I have a dream" mais non "I have dream" ce que dirait (on imagine) un russe ou un chinois dont la langue maternelle ne contient pas d'articles.

Réponse: What's tense de williamengland, postée le 15-12-2007 à 23:27:43 (S | E)

Pas le début du discours, mais la portion la plus célèbre.
    1963 à Washington;

I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; one day right there in Alabama, little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.

Martin Luther King Jnr. (Born -January 15, 1929 Assassinated - April 4, 1968)

POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE