Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Medical words..... (1)

<< English only || En bas

POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE

Medical words.....
    Message de no04 posté le 05-01-2008 à 09:49:45 (S | E | F)

Hello everybody,

first I wish you a happy new year 2008.
    Could you answer my question about the difference between "ache" and "pain" to translate the French word "douleur" ?
    I've been searching in the forum but I haven't found anything about this topic.

Réponse: Medical words..... de tomtom1001, postée le 05-01-2008 à 11:51:31 (S | E)
    hello,

I made some researches and I think "ache" and "pain" mean the same thing: the "physical hurt"!!

But "pain" means also the "mental distress" such as affliction, depression... whereas "ache" doesn't.

But "ache" could be used in some expressions while "pain" couldn't:
    "I have a headache"= j'ai mal à la tête.
    "I have a stomach ache"= j'ai mal au ventre.

Bye... and happy new year!!!

tomtom

Réponse: Medical words..... de chrislondon, postée le 05-01-2008 à 18:10:14 (S | E)
    'Ache' is a more continuous pain. It is used for 'toothache', 'headache' and 'stomach-ache' for this reason. If you said that you had a pain in your leg it would probably be sudden, whereas if you said that your leg was aching it would be the result of too much exercise, for example.

Réponse: Medical words..... de no04, postée le 06-01-2008 à 14:09:29 (S | E)
    Thanks for your answers, knowing the difference will be easy when I'll nurse the sick people.
    See you soon!!!!!!!

Réponse: Medical words..... de tiamo, postée le 07-01-2008 à 01:56:56 (S | E)
    Well it's a shame that you didn't tell Billy that ache couldn't be used for emotional trauma before he decided to bring out his terrible one hit wonder "achy breaky heart"
    Lien Internet

John.

Réponse: Medical words..... de alexio, postée le 07-01-2008 à 15:16:59 (S | E)
    lmao,yeh. I agree ache tends to be a longer lasting "pain" it is simply another form of a pain.

Pain is the category, ache is more of a certain type.
    ache is something internal, and very hard to define as such in medical terms.

-------------------
    Modifié par bridg le 07-01-2008 16:02
    English only/ French part erased

Réponse: Medical words..... de hpesoj, postée le 23-01-2008 à 15:21:28 (S | E)
    As John said, "to ache" can mean emotional pain:

My heart is aching for you

Also, you if you really want to do something you can use "ache":

I am aching to try out my new car

Also, "to ache" is a verb (a synonym of "to hurt", although hurting can also mean the action of hurting someone):

My head is aching
    My fingers ache
    I am aching all over (my whole body is aching)

The equivalent using "pain" would be:

My head is painful
    My fingers are painful

However, you can't say:

I am painful (all over)

Instead, you can say that a person is "in pain":

She was screaming in pain
    I can't move I'm in so much pain!

You can also use "pain" in an abstract way to indicate that something is really unbearable:

That film was painful to watch it was so bad
    This essay is painful

Note also that "paining" is also a verb, but it usually doesn't have anything to do with physical pain, rather it indicates that something is has a negative emotional effect. Usually it is only ever used in the following construction:

It pains me to tell you this, but... (your dog is dead)
    It pains me to do this, but... (you're fired!)
    Your comments pained me

I possibly got a bit sidetracked with other meanings for these two words, so sorry if the above is a bit off topic, I hope someone finds it useful .

Joe

-------------------
    Modifié par hpesoj le 23-01-2008 15:36

POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE