Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

what do you have for tea? (1)

<< English only || En bas

POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE

what do you have for tea?
    Message de frenchtrans posté le 20-05-2008 à 19:36:42 (S | E | F)

I have been surprised to hear in EastEnders Tanya saying at around 7 p.m. I'm preparing tea and actually it was what I would have actually called "dinner". I thought tea was at 5 pm.
    Thank for your comments.

-------------------
    Modifié par lucile83 le 20-05-2008 22:16
    EastEnders is a soap opera which started in 1985.

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de ingspd, postée le 20-05-2008 à 20:12:30 (S | E)
    hello,
    generally it's between 3 and 5 pm, but you can drink some tea when you want it, I mean some people say that every time is good to have some tea .

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de lucile83, postée le 20-05-2008 à 22:24:46 (S | E)
    Hello,
    I think it was in fact what is called 'high tea' and is similar to dinner.
    You can have a cup of tea at any time;low tea at 4.00 or 5.00;high tea some time later,say at 6.00 or 7.00 pm.
    Lien Internet

See you.

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de andy, postée le 21-05-2008 à 06:55:29 (S | E)
    That would be OK in everytime if you want.

-------------------
    Modifié par lucile83 le 21-05-2008 06:59
    Sorry but I don't understand what you mean.Do you mean you can have breakfast at 2.00 pm for example?

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de stephenh, postée le 21-05-2008 à 13:56:00 (S | E)
    Hi Sorry I didn't notice it was english only.

There is a cultural difference between the north and south of England. This difference goes back to the danelaw and the time of Alfred the Great and the North is north of a line roughly from the mouth of the Thames to the Mouth of the Mersey.

In the south of England you have Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. In the North of England you have Breakfast, Dinner and Tea.

Although Eastenders is set in London I am sure they are referring to the northern way of speaking as London is in fact near this old danelaw border. So Tanya would say Dinner for her mid-day meal and tea for her evening meal.

High tea is, as other responders have said, a snack taken at about 4pm. Tanya would never have high tea as this is more a thing for the gentry and not a working class girl like Tanya

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de stephenh, postée le 21-05-2008 à 14:19:02 (S | E)
    Hi again,

I have just read the internet link on tea and the kindest thing to say about it is not to believe everything you read on the internet.

What the link refers to as high tea is the current Scottish custom of high tea. The writer has assumed that there is one culture in the UK and that customs do not change over time. Hence the article is very misleading as to the current culture, irrespective of whether of not the historical facts are correct.

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de lucile83, postée le 21-05-2008 à 14:27:27 (S | E)
    Hello,
    Yes stephenh,you are right when you say there is a difference between the north and the south of England, and when you say that high tea won't be served in a working class family.
    I have often stayed in the south of England and I had a high tea once in my life.I was about 19 and I felt awfully stressed, trying not to make any formal mistake,trying to speak the most correct English language,having the most convenient behaviour...and I felt terribly lonely as I was the only French lady among all those stiff-necked English people looking at me and talking to me! that was the worst "examination" I ever took (and passed) in my life ...
    See you

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de pauline_tang, postée le 22-05-2008 à 13:30:01 (S | E)
    Hello!I come from china.
    Chinese people like tea so much,but they don't like the west of tea.
    They intend to drink chinese tea.
    Do you think so?
    Although I like chinese tea and the west of tea,I don't always drink that.

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de trainer, postée le 24-05-2008 à 05:28:44 (S | E)
    The tea is a culture in itself and there are lots of rituals about it around the world. In India we have tea for no reason at all--visitors, cold, rains.....or feeling bored.

At least it does'nt have the side effects of alcohol.

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de violet91, postée le 24-05-2008 à 14:03:21 (S | E)
    Hello,

For often living in London..I can tell you ..everybody has tea (= dinner ,during the week)at about 6.30p.m /7 ( once home after work and time for the daily news)wherever you live. As lucile said , "high tea " is very "posh" and select . East Enders are mostly immigrants (India,Pakistan):they can't afford or think of having "high teas". At week-ends, British people have dinner or supper ,later (8,9).
    Bye.

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de stephenh, postée le 29-05-2008 à 16:13:55 (S | E)
    Further to tea being the evening meal,

The British do not have tea at 6.30pm and then dinner at 8 or 9pm. Tea and dinner which are taken at 7pm are the same thing by two different names. It is possible to have supper at say 9pm but this is a snack at that time not a full meal and is by no means universal. Unlike in France, it is very unusual to eat the main evening meal as late as 8pm.

Just to add to the confusion supper is in some parts of Britain another word for the evening meal taken at about 7pm.

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de kuji53, postée le 29-05-2008 à 16:50:53 (S | E)
    Hi,
    Tea is a very nice idea to let your time past-by.Specially when you add a little milk on it.

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de nidalavida, postée le 03-06-2008 à 21:23:43 (S | E)
    good evening every body, i want just to say that person who has anemia souldn't drink more than one cup of tea a day because it has a bad effect and it prevents blood to take iron.thanks

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de lucile83, postée le 03-06-2008 à 21:32:14 (S | E)
    Ohhh poor English people ! and ..well I am still alive after drinking about 10/15 nice cups of tea a day when I was in England

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de violet91, postée le 03-06-2008 à 21:36:56 (S | E)
    And so am I..!After so many years. up to 13 cups..myself. No spell on me ! And when I go overthere two or three times a year..I am always in the mood for tea! alive and no lack of iron! I reckon!!

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de nidalavida, postée le 07-06-2008 à 23:52:31 (S | E)
    I said that's not good for people who has anemia not for normal people.

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de englishteacher6, postée le 09-06-2008 à 23:27:30 (S | E)
    Tea for two and two for tea,
    I love you and you love me...

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de zoubir15, postée le 23-06-2008 à 15:47:12 (S | E)
    Tea is not good before lunch or dinner you must drink eat after 30 minute. If you drink it after it prevents blood to take iron. So you will have anaemia

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de sahara07, postée le 23-06-2008 à 15:58:31 (S | E)
    hi all
    am reading a messages and drinking tea too
    in my country we love tea with mint. it's so delightful and good to be concentrate.
    for me i like to drink it after lunch it is good for intestinal transit an for diet specially a green one.

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de sophiia08, postée le 28-06-2008 à 12:50:25 (S | E)
    in britain people drink tea in the afternoon with cake sandwiches and of course a cup of tea and with scones . scones (kind of cake ) craem teas are popular too ;)

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de babi20, postée le 28-06-2008 à 17:16:26 (S | E)
    Tea is healthy when we drink it in the morning and it is not advised to drink it after a meal . and i love tea sooooooooooo much

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de insptrgadget34, postée le 28-06-2008 à 19:00:30 (S | E)
    HI EVERYBODY
    Tea is just another name for the evening meal. I'm going to make a bit of tea - means - I'm going to get the dinner ready, or some supper ready. It just depends who you are. No big deal. Let's have a cuppa or shall we have some tea? normally means the beverage. Confusing eh?

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de paule31, postée le 12-07-2008 à 17:21:52 (S | E)
    [fri ]am the tea when l go the hairdresser bat l am french sory bat l am beginner

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de mariek123, postée le 12-07-2008 à 17:37:13 (S | E)
    From my experience there is no North/South divide or anything like that, it's just that different people do things differently.

Some people say "tea" to mean "dinner" - the evening meal. People generally eat it starting at any time between 5-8pm.

"Tea" can also refer simply to the drink.

"High tea" "afternoon tea" etc. is not something that many people do, only the very 'posh!' It's just a small meal of tea (the drink), scones, biscuits etc.

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de TravisKidd, postée le 12-07-2008 à 20:18:25 (S | E)
    Here in the South of the US, "tea" is always iced! Few people drink "hot tea".
    The only question is whether the tea has sugar ("sweet tea") or not ("unsweetened tea").

Notice that "unsweetened" seems to imply that sugar is taken out! This is not the case, but it does mean that tea is "sweet" by default.

Almost nobody drinks unsweetened tea. Even those such as diabetics who drink it for health reasons will usually put in some type of sweetener such as saccharin (of which "Sweet'n'Low" is the most popular brand), aspartame ("Equal"), or sucralose ("Splenda").

When I go to Pennsylvania to visit relatives, I have to get used to tea being hot by default. Only recently has iced tea been introduced there, sweetened not with sugar but with raspberry juice!

And on the eighth day, God made sweet tea. -Cravin' Melon

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de yfnora, postée le 13-07-2008 à 05:14:08 (S | E)
    in china .we usually take hot tea.we have green tea for summer,and black tea for winter.and also there are flower tea and fruit tea. it suggests that drink tea thirty minitues after a meal is good for your health.

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de finau-maka, postée le 16-07-2008 à 19:13:55 (S | E)
    You can take tea anytime. But I hate tea I prefer coffee coz it give more juive and strenght. It's better for morning.

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de sona, postée le 18-07-2008 à 12:14:54 (S | E)
    hi ,I opened a tea shop in China, the Chinese have a lot of tea, tea cultures, black tea, green tea, each of the tea water temperature requirements are different, you are welcome to have time to China tea. .

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de jonquille, postée le 19-07-2008 à 02:00:31 (S | E)
    Here in the South of the US, "tea" is always iced! Few people drink "hot tea". When I go to Pennsylvania to visit relatives, I have to get used to tea being hot by default.

Interesting, Travis! Just another example of how big this country is! Each area of the country has it's own "methods" of preparing / drinking tea

Here in the northeast, tea is typically served hot until mid-June (when summer finally comes!), then we switch to iced tea (though at nights, when it's cooler, I prefer hot tea!). When the season changes, and it begins to get cooler (early-mid September) we'll return to drinking hot tea. Dunkin' Donuts (a coffee "restaurant" in the northeast USA) even stops selling it's flavored hot teas in the summer!)

Réponse: what do you have for tea? de jimboparis, postée le 07-11-2008 à 12:56:16 (S | E)
    There is "afternoon tea" which is tea and cakes at around 15H

Normally in everyday spoken british english, "tea" just means "dinner"

EG "what are you having for tea tonight?"

POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE