Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Can / should (astonishment) (1)

<< English only || Bottom

POST A NEW REPLY

Can / should (astonishment)
    Message from jasonhung posted on 22-03-2009 at 13:51:16 (D | E | F)

Hi,
    Do you know the difference between the words "can" and "should",especially when express astonishment.

Thanks

-------------------
    Edited by bridg on 22-03-2009 13:54
    title

Re: Can / should (astonishment) from malaverdashvili, posted on 22-03-2009 at 17:39:31 (D | E)
    You Can do something when you are able to do it. You are strong. e.g. You can build the new house. Or you can read English, because you know English enough well to read it.

When you give advice to someone you say -"You SHOULD eat more fruit. It is necessary for your health". He/she can or cannot take your advice into consideration. "Your house is very old to live in. You should build a new one. You can build it, because you have some money and are very strong to begin it".

We use CAN when a person does something physically or mentally and can do it somehow or cannot.

Re: Can / should (astonishment) from malaverdashvili, posted on 22-03-2009 at 17:47:17 (D | E)
    Sorry, I didn't notice the astonishment. I'll find it out and send the answer soon.

Re: Can / should (astonishment) from chrislondon, posted on 23-03-2009 at 21:34:36 (D | E)
    Hi, I think that you mean expressions like these:
    You should see her house!! It's enormous!!
    I can just imagine what her house is like!!!
    The two modals are used to express surprise here.
    Do you have a context?
    Best Wishes

POST A NEW REPLY