Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

'Pass' or 'hit'??

<< English only || Bottom

POST A NEW REPLY

'Pass' or 'hit'??
    Message from zero posted on 12-06-2009 at 13:44:32 (D | E | F)

Hello everyone, I meet a cloze test today and I'm not quite understand with one of the questions. The text is about a girl learning volleyball, and the paragraph is here:

One afternoon the instructor asked Atsuko to ____ the ball to her teammates so they could knock it over the net.

There are two answers that can be chosen: "pass" and "hit". I choose "pass" but I am told I've got it wrong. I'm wondering that what's the difference between "pass" and "hit"? Can I have your opinion? Thanks!

Re: 'Pass' or 'hit'?? from lucile83, posted on 12-06-2009 at 13:59:43 (D | E)
    Hello,
    I think that the players can't pass a ball in volleyball but only hit it.
    Best wishes.

Re: 'Pass' or 'hit'?? from zero, posted on 12-06-2009 at 14:35:59 (D | E)
    However, don't we say "pass the ball to the teammate" instead of "kick the ball" in soccer?
    Thank you all the same!

Re: 'Pass' or 'hit'?? from robertbrou, posted on 18-06-2009 at 18:07:57 (D | E)
    Hi there!

From the site, Lien Internet
    , there is a difference between pass and hit.

HIT - To jump and strike the ball with an overhand, forceful shot.

FOREARM PASS - Join your arms from the elbows to the wrists and strike the ball with the fleshy part of your forearms in an underhand motion.

OVERHAND PASS - A pass executed with both hands open, controlled by the fingers and thumbs, played just above the forehead.

PASS – see "Forearm Pass"

Based upon the above information, one would HIT the ball over the net and do a FOREARM PASS to pass the ball to another teammate.

Hope this helps!
    robertbrou

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 le 18-06-2009 21:26
    Yes! thank you !

POST A NEW REPLY