Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

A - an

<< English only || Bottom

POST A NEW REPLY

A - an
    Message from emani posted on 14-06-2009 at 02:43:21 (D | E | F)

hi
    i need u to give me rule to use an or a with words ...
    for example we need use an with words bigning with e / u / i or with the whole words which biggning with vowel letters ??

thanx

Re: A - an from novotny, posted on 14-06-2009 at 03:39:59 (D | E)
    the whole word which beginning with vowel letters
    Do you mean :we use the article 'an' before all the words beginning with a vowel ?

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 le 14-06-2009 07:31

Re: A - an from TravisKidd, posted on 14-06-2009 at 04:47:49 (D | E)
    Use "a" before words that begin with a consonant sound: a bird, a pig, a grey elephant

Note that consonants include semivowels as well as H: a yard, a worm, a rat, a house

Note also that words can begin with a consonant sound even though their first letter is a vowel: a university, a one-year-old

Use "an" before words that begin with a vowel sound: an orange, an umpire, an interesting problem

Also, when pronouncing the name of a letter, use "an" before ones whose names begin with a vowel sound: an A, an L, an S (but a U)

Note that some words begin with an unpronounced H, and therefore begin with a vowel sound: an hour, an honest man

Also, some words begin with an H on an unstressed syllable; in this case the pronounciation of H is (often, depending on the previous word) optional; in this case "an" may be used with an unpronounced H: a(n) hallucination, a(n) historic moment

POST A NEW REPLY