Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Finally or Eventually?

Cours gratuits > Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Suivre ce sujet]

Finally or Eventually?
    Message from may posted on 19-12-2009 at 03:24:55 (D | E | F)
    Hello,

These 2 adverbs have similar meaning. That makes me think how to select one to get the perfect sense for my idea:

After hours of struggling through the heavy traffic on a snowy day, he's finally able to reach home safe and sound!

or

After hours of struggling through the heavy traffic on a snowy day, he's able to reach home safe and sound, eventually!
    Regards,
    May

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 19-12-2009 08:25

Re: Finally or Eventually? from traviskidd, posted on 19-12-2009 at 09:30:31 (D | E)
    Hello!

"Finally" is better here. "Eventually" has a meaning similar to "sooner or later".

See you!

Re: Finally or Eventually? from may, posted on 19-12-2009 at 22:06:53 (D | E)
    Hello,

Thank you Travis for your explanation. However, Can you be more specific? Please put EVENTUALLY in a sentence which means SOONER OR LATER, can't you?

Thanks and Regards,

Re: Finally or Eventually? from brettdallen, posted on 19-12-2009 at 22:20:10 (D | E)
    Hello May,
    I'll suggest a few examples:
    "We'll do it eventually." This means that one day or another, we'll do it.
    "Eventually I will leave you." ((I don't know when, it may be sooner or later, but one day it will happen.)
    Now, when you use the adverb with a sentence in the past, it sounds closer to "finally"(in the end), and that's probably why you're confused.
    Hope it helps.
    Bye!

Re: Finally or Eventually? from traviskidd, posted on 20-12-2009 at 21:35:59 (D | E)
    I agree with brett's explanations.

"Eventually" means "one day" (or "at some point"; it doesn't necessarily have to be a different day or even a different minute). When used in a future sense one can also say "someday" or "sooner or later".

- "If you keep rolling the dice, you will eventually roll a 12."

Re: Finally or Eventually? from may, posted on 22-12-2009 at 19:59:07 (D | E)
    Hello,

Thank you Brett and Travis

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > English only