Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Correction/reported speech

Cours gratuits > Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Suivre ce sujet]

Correction/reported speech
    Message from dlsur posted on 23-07-2011 at 11:41:14 (D | E | F)
    Hello everyone.

I need a new correction please , this time is about reported speech ( this is the part of grammar where I have a lot of mistakes , so be tolerant , if I don't have any good result, please.

-- Change the direct speech in these sentences into reported speech .

a/ I heard the nurse say to him , " Do lie still. You'll pull your stitches open if you keep moving about like that."

the nurse said to him that did lie still , you could pull tour stitches open if you keep moving about like that.

b/ The judge said to the man in the dock, "Did You ask for , or receive, permission to use a company car that night?"

The judge asked to the man , if He had asked for , or receive , permission to use a company car that night ?.

c/ " Let me help You with that suitcase," Timothy said to the pretty girl at the station. " It looks a lot too heavy for You."

Timothy said to the pretty girl at the station , let me help you with that suitcase , It looked a lot too heavy for You.

d/ " Hold these wires carefully ." Said the electrician to his assistant. " We don't want to get a shock with this voltage!"

The electrician said to his assistant , held these wires carefully, We didn't want to get a shock with this voltage.

e/ " You will really have to have your hair cut soon," Polly said to Walter. " You are beginning to look uncouth."

Polly said to Walter , you would really have to have your hair cut soon , You were beginning to look uncouth.

f/ Marilyn said," I am terribly sorry I am so late . I wish I could learn to look at clock . Do please forgive me."

Marilyn said to me that she was terribly sorry , she was so late. I wish I could have learn to look at the clock .
    Did please forgive me.

g/ Phyllis said severely to her husband , " what have You been cutting with my scissors ?.

Phyllis asked severely to her husband , that, what had You been cutting with my scissors ?.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 23-07-2011 12:11

Re: Correction/reported speech from sherry48, posted on 23-07-2011 at 14:26:00 (D | E)
    Hello dlsur,

I will give you 3 hints, then I will look at your corrections.
    -1. consider using infinitives,
    -2. pay attention to different tenses and pronouns in a sentence,
    -3. look especially carefully at all sentences using the second person pronoun.
    Sherry

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 23-07-2011 16:13

Re: Correction/reported speech from notrepere, posted on 23-07-2011 at 17:25:02 (D | E)
    Hello

It is obvious that you do not understand this topic well. There are too many errors to correct.

For example, a. should begin:

The nurse told him to lie still ...

It would be better for you to study further and then re-post your work. There are many courses on the site:
    Lien Internet

Here's a short one in English:
    Lien Internet

Good luck

-------------------
    Edited by notrepere on 23-07-2011 20:13

Re: Correction/reported speech from dlsur, posted on 24-07-2011 at 10:44:54 (D | E)
    Hello everyone.

Thanks for your comments , I know that I have a lot of mistakes, and I've said I find some problem with this part of grammar ...
    Well, I'm going to revise again the grammar about the reported speech.

But I have a doubt about the sentences ,in this exercise ; Do I have to change all the sentence ?....For instant in the first sentence:

a/ I heard the nurse say to him , " Do lie still. You'll pull your stitches open if you keep moving about like that."

....Or I have to do the reported speech just the sentence between the Inverted commas.
    Because in this web ( where Notrepere told me that I must revise the reported speech )
    We have to change just the sentence between the Inverted commas.

Lien Internet

Thanks again.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 24-07-2011 11:06

-------------------
    Edited by dlsur on 24-07-2011 11:18

-------------------
    Edited by dlsur on 24-07-2011 11:52

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 24-07-2011 20:18

Re: Correction/reported speech from notrepere, posted on 24-07-2011 at 17:49:12 (D | E)
    Hello

As Sherry said, you often need to change verb tenses and pronouns too.

Notrepere: "Disur, what have you been studying?"

Notrepere asked Disur/him what he had been studying.

I heard the nurse say to him , " Do lie still. You'll pull your stitches open if you keep moving about like that."

The nurse told him to lie still or he would pull his stitches open (if he kept moving about like that).

Re: Correction/reported speech from violet91, posted on 24-07-2011 at 18:40:50 (D | E)
    Hello,

/ I heard the nurse say to him , " Do lie still. You'll pull your stitches open if you keep moving about like that."

the nurse said to him that did lie still , you could pull tour stitches open if you keep (preterite)moving about like that.

b/ The judge said to the man in the dock, "Did You ask for , or receive, permission to use a company car that night?"

The judge asked (to) the man if He had asked for or receive permission to use a company car that night ?.

c/ " Let me help You with that suitcase," Timothy said to the pretty girl at the station. " It looks a lot too heavy for You."

Timothy said to the pretty girl at the station (inf) let me help you with that suitcase , It looked a lot too heavy for You.

d/ " Hold these wires carefully ." Said the electrician to his assistant. " We don't want to get a shock with this voltage!"

The electrician said to his assistant held (inf)these wires carefully, We didn't want to get a shock with this voltage.

e/ " You will (pronom et concordance)really have to have your hair cut soon," Polly said to Walter. " You are beginning to look uncouth."

Polly said to Walter , you would really have to have your hair cut soon , You were beginning to look uncouth.

f/ Marilyn said," I am terribly sorry I am so late . I wish I could learn to look at clock . Do please forgive me."

Marilyn said to me that she was terribly sorry she was so late. I wish I could have learn to look at the clock .
    Did please forgive me.
    g/ Phyllis said severely to her husband , " what have You been cutting with my scissors ?.

Phyllis asked severely to her husband what had You been cutting with my scissors ?.

xxxxx
    See you.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 24-07-2011 20:23
    English only forum

Re: Correction/reported speech from sherry48, posted on 24-07-2011 at 20:01:31 (D | E)
    Hello dlsur and violet91,

With reported speech, you are telling about what someone else has said, without quoting their exact words. Since quotation marks indicate the exact words spoken, you will not use quotation marks for reported speech.
    Violet91, try again using...I heard the nurse tell him to lie still... Sherry

-------------------
    Edited by sherry48 on 24-07-2011 20:03

Re: Correction/reported speech from lucile83, posted on 24-07-2011 at 20:25:42 (D | E)
    Hello sherry,

I think violet has coloured the mistakes in red

Re: Correction/reported speech from sherry48, posted on 24-07-2011 at 20:42:21 (D | E)
    Hello everyone,
    A senior moment Violet91, you can say it either way--'The nurse said..., or 'I heard the nurse...'

Re: Correction/reported speech from violet91, posted on 24-07-2011 at 23:15:09 (D | E)

, yes , sherry ..lucile is right, of course ...as an English teacher like me ! All coloured words needed to be inverted, related or/and corrected. That was my way of helping the member, you see.

Re: Correction/reported speech from dlsur, posted on 25-07-2011 at 00:48:35 (D | E)
    Hello everyone.

Thanks for the explanations , and for your time.

I hope that some sentences are correct, but I know that It is impossible to believe, well apart from this, in the letter f/where the sentence says she wishes she could have learnt have I to put into practice the grammar rule about ( wishes about the past) ?

-- Change the direct speech in these sentences into reported speech .

the nurse told him that to lie still , He could pull his stitches open if He kept moving about like that.

The judge asked the man , if He had asked for , or received , permission to use a company car that night ?.

Timothy told Her at the station ,to let him help her with that suitcase , It looked a lot too heavy /much too heavy for Her.

The electrician said to his assistant ,that to hold these wires carefully, They didn't want to get a shock with this voltage.

e/ " You will really have to have your hair cut soon," Polly said to Walter. " You are beginning to look uncouth."

Polly said to Walter , He would really have to have his hair cut soon , He was beginning to look uncouth.

Marilyn said to me that she was terribly sorry , she was so late. She wish she could have learnt to look at the clock .
    please forgive Her.

Phyllis severely asked to her husband , that what had He been cutting with her scissors ?.

Thanks again.

-------------------
    Edited by dlsur on 25-07-2011 00:49

-------------------
    Edited by dlsur on 25-07-2011 12:58

Re: Correction/reported speech from sherry48, posted on 25-07-2011 at 03:01:49 (D | E)
    Hi dlsur,

You're making progress.
    1.In some sentences you have used the verb to tell instead of to say, and that is good, but if you use said, it should be 'said that'.
    2.Commas may no longer be needed.
    3.Generally, if the subject is the pronoun 'you' it's direct speech, not reported speech, unless you are telling someone what another person has said about them.
    4.When you change a pronoun, be sure to change it throughout the sentence. (a & g)
    5.Keep the tense the same. (b, asked & receive)
    6.Write asked someone, not asked to someone.
    7.Sentence g--There are some things that need to be inverted---Phyllis severely asked her husband what he had been cutting with her scissors.
    8.'a lot too heavy' seems awkward...I would say 'much too heavy'. But that's a different subject !

I think you can now find most of the mistakes.
    Sherry

Re: Correction/reported speech from dlsur, posted on 25-07-2011 at 13:45:03 (D | E)
    Hello Sherry.

Thanks for your help with this exercise , but in my defense a couple mistakes ,that I have got in the last post ,It has happened when I did the transcription from my book exercises to the web.
    I'm doing exercises about reported speech in different webs , well I think that I'm on the right way....

Thanks again

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > English only