Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Tell/V-ing or to

Cours gratuits > Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Suivre ce sujet]

Tell/V-ing or to
    Message from nutmeg1906 posted on 28-09-2011 at 17:59:15 (D | E | F)
    Hello,

In the textbook I use at school (FCE Result – Oxford ed.) I read the following passage:

Bobby Mason was a celebrity in the small village of Southbourne where he lived. His neighbours often asked him to tell stories about his years as a top professional footballer in the 1960s. Bobby entertained them for hours. He told them playing against George Best, one of the most famous footballers in the world at that time. The problem was, it wasn't true. [...]

I wanted to ask you if the verb “tell” follows the same rules as other verbs like “remember / regret / forget” etc. that can be followed by –ing or to form of the verb with different meanings. If this is the case, this might be a possible difference in meaning:
    a)He told them playing against ... = He told them he had played against... / He told them about his memories concerning football etc.
    b)He told them to play against … = He told them to do so.

Is it correct? I couldn't find this explanation in the grammar books I consulted. Thank you!

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 28-09-2011 18:58

Re: Tell/V-ing or to from gerondif, posted on 28-09-2011 at 18:11:48 (D | E)
    Hello,

Yes, you are right: the sentence means:
    He told them that he had been playing against George Best
    He remembered (that he had been) playing against George Best.
    He pretended / alleged / (that he had been) playing against George Best.

"He told them/asked them/ordered them/ advised them/forced them/ to play" would indeed have another meaning.

Re: Tell/V-ing or to from notrepere, posted on 28-09-2011 at 19:00:39 (D | E)
    Hello

The sentence is missing a word:

He told them about playing against George Best...

It doesn't make any sense without it.

You can follow "them" with a gerund in the sense of:

He told them (that) playing against George Best, one of the most famous footballers in the world at that time, was the biggest thrill of his life.

Re: Tell/V-ing or to from nutmeg1906, posted on 30-09-2011 at 19:28:41 (D | E)
    So, two different opinions. Thank you!

Re: Tell/V-ing or to from jonquille, posted on 01-10-2011 at 03:48:23 (D | E)
    Hello!

I agree with notrepere... the sentence is missing a word. It doesn't make sense the way it is written/copied.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > English only