Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

What doing/like doing

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

What doing/like doing
    Message from a_limon posted on 30-04-2012 at 01:11:11 (D | E | F)
    Hello!

Could you help me please?
    Could one ask: What doing do you like? (I like listening to music.)
    Or it is only possible to ask: "What do you like doing?"
    Thank you for your answers.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 30-04-2012 08:43

Re: What doing/like doing from stammer, posted on 30-04-2012 at 01:44:13 (D | E)
    Hello,
    In short, no. "What doing do you like?" does not make any sense.

Re: What doing/like doing from notrepere, posted on 30-04-2012 at 02:55:21 (D | E)
    Hello

The correct question is: What do you like to do (for fun, etc.)?
    I like listening to music.

Re: What doing/like doing from chieubich, posted on 30-04-2012 at 08:45:15 (D | E)
    Hello,

the correct question is: "what do you like?"
    the answer is: I + like + N/ V_ing....
    Have fun,

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 30-04-2012 08:54

Re: What doing/like doing from a_limon, posted on 02-05-2012 at 13:15:26 (D | E)
    Thanks to you.
    Tell me please whether the gerund "doing" is one single gerund which cannot follow "what" in questions or no one of gerunds can follow "what" in questions?
    Are there any exceptions?
    I like hearing your singing. Can one ask "What singing do you like hearing?"

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 02-05-2012 14:04

Re: What doing/like doing from a_limon, posted on 02-05-2012 at 14:49:35 (D | E)
    Thank you for your correction of my mistakes.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 02-05-2012 15:23

Re: What doing/like doing from sherry48, posted on 02-05-2012 at 15:21:27 (D | E)
    Hello.
    I like hearing your singing.
    It sounds more natural to use an infinitive. I like to hear you sing/singing.
    For a sentence with music or singing, the best verb may be to listen. I hear someone singing. I listen to classical music. Listen is to pay attention and hear is to perceive a sound.
    "What singing do you like hearing?"
    This would sound more natural with a noun instead. What music or what songs do you like to listen to? In general, although gerunds act as nouns, you will use a 'regular' noun after what, as in my example. I hope this answers your question. Sherry

Re: What doing/like doing from a_limon, posted on 02-05-2012 at 18:42:40 (D | E)
    Could one say "I hear HIS singing." instead of "I hear him sing" (I know grammar difference between these sentences)

Re: What doing/like doing from sherry48, posted on 02-05-2012 at 21:29:13 (D | E)
    Hello again.
    It's best to say...I hear him singing. If you want the passive voice, then you could say..His singing could be heard throughout the building. Sherry

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only