Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Keep it going/gerund

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Keep it going/gerund
    Message from a_limon posted on 04-05-2012 at 18:59:41 (D | E | F)
    Hello!

Could you tell me please if "going" is participle 1 in "Keep it going".
    I know that "going" is the gerund in the phrase "keep going along the street"
    Thanks in advance.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 04-05-2012 21:03

Re: Keep it going/gerund from bluestar, posted on 04-05-2012 at 23:02:00 (D | E)
    Hello,

"Going" is a participle in both examples you give (in my view).
    Here is an example of "going" as gerund and as participle in one sentence:
    "When the going gets tough, the tough get going"
    First "going" is gerund, the second is a participle.

Re: Keep it going/gerund from a_limon, posted on 05-05-2012 at 00:42:21 (D | E)
    Hello,

"He kept on smiling.""He kept smiling." I thought that "keep on" and "keep" are the aspect verbs in the predicates "keep on smiling" and "keep smiling", like "go on" is the aspect verb in the aspect predicate"go on smiling" in the "He went on smiling".
    The grammars say that all verbals with aspect verbs are gerunds. But in the same time the grammars say that "aspect vers" are intransitive.
    I can't get it/ I always thought that a Verb with a Gerund functions like a transitive verb.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 05-05-2012 09:20
    Layout

Re: Keep it going/gerund from a_limon, posted on 05-05-2012 at 14:15:59 (D | E)
    Hello,

Is it correct to say: He keeps on quickly reading the book. He goes on quickly reading the book.
    Could one use an adverb "quickly" or adjective "quick"?

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 05-05-2012 16:41

Re: Keep it going/gerund from bluestar, posted on 05-05-2012 at 14:32:12 (D | E)
    The usual way to write these sentences would be:
    "He keeps on reading the book quickly."
    "He goes on reading the book quickly."
    To use the adjective "quick" here would be wrong, as in
    "He keeps on reading the book quick" - this is wrong.

Re: Keep it going/gerund from a_limon, posted on 05-05-2012 at 14:44:29 (D | E)
    I meant adjective after "Kept" "kept on"'
    He kept on quick reading the book.
    I can't get if the adjective can be the modifier of gerund "reading"? If "reading" were participle1, then I wouldn't question on "reading". (An adjective can't be the modifier of a participle)

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 05-05-2012 17:16

Re: Keep it going/gerund from bluestar, posted on 05-05-2012 at 16:08:54 (D | E)
    This is a technical question and perhaps one of the professors on the site will provide an informed view.

All I can say is that "He kept on quick reading the book" is definitely wrong. You need the adverb where you have put the adjective, i.e. "He kept on reading the book quickly"

Re: Keep it going/gerund from a_limon, posted on 05-05-2012 at 16:29:49 (D | E)
    You've written" You need the adverb where you have put the adjective, i.e. "He kept on reading the book quickly"
    But could one put an adverb between an aspect verb and a gerund, like between a modal verb and an infinitive? In both cases, we have dealt with a compound verbal predicate.
    He can quickly read the book.
    He keeps on quickly reading the book.
    He keeps quickly reading the book.
    If it's so I suspect "reading" is a participle1, not a gerund as the grammars say.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 05-05-2012 17:03

Re: Keep it going/gerund from bluestar, posted on 05-05-2012 at 16:44:41 (D | E)
    It's just that "quickly" would normally appear at the end, after "book".

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 05-05-2012 16:57

Re: Keep it going/gerund from lucile83, posted on 05-05-2012 at 16:59:53 (D | E)
    Hello a-limon,

When grammar books say something they are usually right.Moreover bluestar is a native.

He kept on quick reading the book...is incorrect.
    In your examples 'reading' is a gerund because the verbs keep on,go on and many other verbs are followed by a gerund.
    Link

He can quickly read the book.
    He keeps on quickly reading the book.
    He keeps quickly reading the book.
    If it's so I suspect the "reading" is a participle1, not gerund as the grammars say.

Those sentences are incorrect as you have to write 'quickly' at the end of the sentences.
    then...
    He can read the book quickly.
    He keeps on reading the book quickly.
    He keeps reading the book quickly.

Re: Keep it going/gerund from a_limon, posted on 05-05-2012 at 20:37:48 (D | E)
    Ok,
    Could you tell me please if I get it right...
    bluestar said that the "going" is a participle in "keep going along the street".
    The "going" follows the "keep" too like the "reading" does in "keep reading this book". Why then the"reading" is a gerund, but the "going" is a participle?

Tell me please also, whether every adverb must be put at the end of the sentence with an aspect or modal predicate?
    "Keep daily reading this book."
    You can always (sometimes)read this book.
    Or there is no adverb that could be put between an aspect verb and a verbal (a gerund or infinitive)?
    Thank you in advance.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 05-05-2012 20:53

Re: Keep it going/gerund from lucile83, posted on 05-05-2012 at 20:53:08 (D | E)
    Hello,

I suppose you are talking about this sentence?
    the 1st going is a noun
    the 2nd going is a gerund

Your second question:
    "Keep daily reading this book."... no, keep reading this book daily; don't separate the verb and the gerund

You can always (sometimes)read this book. ...ok, I just notice there is no gerund, don't you?

Re: Keep it going/gerund from a_limon, posted on 05-05-2012 at 22:43:05 (D | E)
    lucile83 Hello,

I do not know how much big the difference between a gerund and participle in English is , but in Russian it makes a great difference. I mean not only the meaning of them but the pronunciation at translation. A gerund and a participle sound completely different in Russian.
    I can't find so far the site in Internet where I could find the answers- in which cases after verbs the gerunds follow and in which ones-participles.
    I always thought that "get",in most cases, is followed by participles, adjectives and nouns. (She got tired (+a participle), it got red, he got letter.) So, I suggested, like bluestar did, that the "going" after the "get"is a participle1.
    (He/she said,""Going" is a participle in both examples you give (in my view)."Then he gave his/her example,
    First "going" is gerund, the second is a participle.) And I agreed with it.
    Now you say that "going" after the "get" is a gerund. So, I got in confusion.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 05-05-2012 23:05

Re: Keep it going/gerund from lucile83, posted on 05-05-2012 at 23:05:05 (D | E)
    Hello a-limon,

You can read and study the 5 pages here, about the differences between gerund and participle.
    Link

And why do you compare Russian and English? it is the best way to get confused as these words are confusing indeed.

Re: Keep it going/gerund from a_limon, posted on 05-05-2012 at 23:27:16 (D | E)
    lucile, thank you.
    I will try to bring to light it how to make sure what follows after verbs: a gerund or a participle. The difference between them I know (in grammar sense). It is too great not to feel it. The problem is how to know which one of them in English: a gerund or a participle follows the verb? They look similar in English. (not as in Russian)

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 06-05-2012 08:43
    Please read the link I gave you.

Re: Keep it going/gerund from a_limon, posted on 07-05-2012 at 18:38:30 (D | E)
    I have read the texts on the link you gave. Also I made all the exercises there.
    But I couldn't find the answer to my question there about "keep it going". I don't know what the "going" is.
    I think it is a participle1. And "keep" is the transitive verb, like "made" in the phrase "This made him sad".
    Also, I don't know what the "reading" in "go on (continue) reading" is: a gerund or a participle.

Re: Keep it going/gerund from lucile83, posted on 07-05-2012 at 19:14:45 (D | E)
    Hello,

Just at the beginning of the page I told you about, you can read:

Both gerunds and participles are verbals; that is, they are both formed by adding +ing to a verb and both express action or a state of being. The difference between the two lies in their function within the sentence.
    Part A: GERUNDS have the same functions as NOUNS in sentences. They can be single words or gerund phrases.

keep it going is a kind of expression; you keep what? it going, which is an object and gerund
    go on reading is the same;what do you go on? reading,object and gerund

This made him sad is another point as there is no gerund,sad is an adjective; it has nothing to do with gerunds.

Concerning participles:
    Link

page 3
    Part B. Unlike Gerunds, which function as nouns in sentences, PARTICIPLES can function as ADJECTIVES in sentences. The examples and exercises in this activity focus on present participles, which suggest action and come from active verbs. As adjectives, participles modify nouns or pronouns. They can have the following sentence positions:
    Adjective + Noun: I was awakened by the screaming child. (The participle modifies child.)
    Subject + Linking Verb + Adjective complement: The horror film was extremely frightening. (The participle modifies horror film).
    Participial Phrase: The police noticed the thief hiding on the rooftop. (The participial phrase modifies thief).
    Introductory Participial (Adjective) Phrase: Looking for a place to hide, the thief climbed the fire escape to the rooftop.

Using the last example above you could see the difference between gerunds and participles if I write:
    Looking for a place to hide,the boy fell down (= participle)
    Looking for a place is difficult in big cities (= gerund)

Hope it's clear now.

Re: Keep it going/gerund from a_limon, posted on 07-05-2012 at 19:45:24 (D | E)
    Lucile, I understand all that is written by you and in this link.. I know that a gerund can be an object, but a participle can be an adjectival.
    "Keep it going"---"keep" what?-it(object)", How? Which? --going (adjectival). "Going" modifies "it"
    I could take "its going","this going"," that going" like gerund phrases as objects, not "it going". "It" couldn't modify gerund the"going".

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only