Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Mona Lisa /smile

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Mona Lisa /smile
    Message from tatu posted on 11-06-2012 at 12:25:15 (D | E | F)
    Hello,

I would like to ask you about grammar in the title of the movie I have watched on television: "Mona Lisa smile".
    I think it's wrong because there is no "s"; if "smile" is used like a verb or not " 's " if "smile" is a noun.
    I don't know exactly what it means. Is this right or wrong?
    Thank you in advance.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 11-06-2012 12:27

Re: Mona Lisa /smile from sherry48, posted on 11-06-2012 at 14:22:58 (D | E)
    Hello.
    You suggested Mona Lisa smiles. That is a complete sentence, since the verb agrees with the third person subject. However, since this is a title, it may be an incomplete sentence. I can also suggest the possessive, Mona Lisa's Smile. A less likely possibility is the imperative...Mona Lisa, Smile! Have a nice day! Sherry

Re: Mona Lisa /smile from a_limon, posted on 11-06-2012 at 16:24:10 (D | E)
    Hello!
    I think "smile" is the noun in this title. Mona Lisa is the modifier of the "smile". (the smile of Mona Lisa(in a figurative sense)

Re: Mona Lisa /smile from gerondif, posted on 11-06-2012 at 17:07:50 (D | E)
    Hello,

maybe Mona Lisa is taken as an adjective qualifying the noun as in:
    she gave me an enigmatic smile,a wry smile, a "Mona Lisa" smile, meaning a Mona Lisa type of smile

The difference would be:
    Look at Mona Lisa's smile: It is really her smile, the smile on Leonardo Da Vinci's painting.
    I hate her Mona Lisa smile: it is not her smile it is a smile which looks like the one on the painting.
    I hate the smile she gives me, I don't know what to make of it.

Re: Mona Lisa /smile from a_limon, posted on 11-06-2012 at 17:14:10 (D | E)
    Hello!

Gerondif, it's exactly what I mean. ("Mona Lisa" smile, meaning Mona Lisa type of smile). (not Smile of Mona Lisa)

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only