Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Triple Word Challenge #11

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Page 1 / 2 - To jump to another page: Top | 1 | 2 | End | Bottom
    Message from jonquille posted on 15-07-2012 at 16:43:27 (D | E | F)

Hello,

Summer is here. Time to play and practice using your English vocabulary! This “game” will have no winners, it will merely be a means of displaying your knowledge and talent! Therefore, the rules are simple, but should the need arise, rules may be adjusted or added.

RULES

Goal: Very simple! Create a text using the 3 words that have been given to you. The text may be short (10-40 words) or longer (60-80 words). PLEASE! Try to keep to these limits, or I'll be up all night reading all of them (and my husband will wonder who is more important) ! Haha!

1) Who can participate?: All members from beginner to expert.
    2) Word usage: Try to keep the words in the form in which they are given. However, since this is a game to help you improve your English, some changes to the words will be accepted (letters may be added/changed to correspond to the subject, verbs may be changed from singular to plural). For native English speakers, no changes to the words will be allowed.
    3) Language usage: Texts should be correct (grammar, spelling, punctuation). Please make the text appropriate to the users of this site (remember they are of all ages!). You will receive a private message if your text has errors.
    4) Texts: Entries may be surrealistic or “creative” but they must make sense logically!
    5) Game end: Each game will finish on the date noted in red. Words for succeeding games will be chosen randomly from the texts of those who have participated in the current game.
    6) Text: To make the words easier to find in the texts, please put the game words in blue.

Important!! Closing date for this game: Saturday, 6 PM in New Hampshire, USA
    (Your first challenge...what time is it for you when it is 6 PM in New Hampshire? )

Your next challenge – to use these words in a text (sentence, SHORT story, poem):

Noun – pool
    Adjective – confident
    Verb – think

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from komiks, posted on 15-07-2012 at 16:51:28 (D | E)
    Hello jonquille.
    Thanks for this new challenge.
    Here's my try :

I'm thinking about a terrible adventure, which happened last year: my best friend was confident that he could swim... He jumped into the pool and suddenly struggled in the water. At first, I thought that he was laughing at me, but I quickly understood he was drowning. I panicked and unfortunately, he drowned. Since then, I've blamed myself.

I hope it's good writing.
    Thanks again.
    Have a nice day

-------------------
    Edited by komiks on 15-07-2012 17:39
    I've just corrected my mistake Thank you
    I want to add : it's a made-up story

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from dolfine56, posted on 15-07-2012 at 18:07:40 (D | E)
    Hello dear Jonquille,
    Thanks for this new one.

This morning, I was at the swimming-pool. After a while,I left the deep pool for the baby one, and I could see a young mother trying to introduce her little baby to the pleasure of paddling in the water.The baby wasn't very confident,but after a few minutes I thought he was as pleased as a fish in the sea.

Thanks for the way you take care of us with devotion.

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from lakata, posted on 15-07-2012 at 18:38:53 (D | E)
    Hello Jonquille and everybody!

The smart young lady went out for a walk, wearing up-to-date high heels probably for the first time, I think. Wiggling her hips a little bit, she often took a look around to see if she was successful enough. She was. So she looked to be in a more and more confident mood so far she reached that sneaky pool of water which made her skid and fall down pathetically...Fortunately, there was no hedgehog in this pool - but I am afraid I must be playing the wrong game, mustn't I?

P.S. You must have guessed I was this young lady, a very long time ago, of course! What a bad memory!

Thank you very much dear Jonquille for your useful pieces of advice!

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from irish21, posted on 16-07-2012 at 00:38:33 (D | E)
    Hello jonquille,
    well, I am trying again

I love playing pool; I play in as many tournaments as I can. To succeed in winning competitions involves having self-confidence.
    I think the key to success depends on your frame of mind; that's why I want to be more confident with myself.

Thank you.

-------------------
    Edited by irish21 on 16-07-2012 01:10

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from marietherese44, posted on 16-07-2012 at 01:44:54 (D | E)
    Hi jonquille,

Thank you for this challenge. I appreciate so much.
    I think I'll always be astonished to see the children taking a header in the pool to get refreshed and how they are confident of success. In their mind there's no fear but they just take pleasure in doing it.
    Have a good week. 

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 16-07-2012 07:44
    Layout

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from san99, posted on 16-07-2012 at 02:04:06 (D | E)
    Hello Jonquille,
    I am back on the forum and here is my text.
    The scorching heat of the day made me perspire every second, yesterday. I didn’t have a personal indoor pool but my neighbor did. I was standing in the window and looked at John (my neighbor) swimming in the pool. Without caring about his reaction, I jumped down into his pool from my window. He was shocked to see me coming out of the blue. I was so confident that I laughed loudly as though I were crazy. I think I had a weird, yet funny, adventure last night.

-------------------
    Edited by san99 on 16-07-2012 23:15

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from hortensia, posted on 16-07-2012 at 12:33:45 (D | E)
    Hello Jonquille and friends, here is my try :

"She'll soon be able to swim I think", said my neighbour as we were watching my grand-daughter having fun in the pool. "She's getting more and more confident and she loves to be in the water so much!"
    (that's much better indeed ! thanks Jonquille !)

-------------------
    Edited by hortensia on 16-07-2012 15:56

-------------------
    Edited by hortensia on 17-07-2012 15:46

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from lemagemasque, posted on 16-07-2012 at 18:52:20 (D | E)
    Hello

Here is my story :

- Inspector, we have found a body in the pool and we have a witness who has seen the victim running in the forest.
    - And who is the witness?
    - It's Thomas Smith. He is a lawyer.
    - Oh... I know him. I was in the same school as him. He was confident that aliens exist.
    - And you didn't think that?
    - No. Why? You think that?
    Who was the victim?
    Why has someone killed him?

Good bye!

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 16-07-2012 20:08

-------------------
    Edited by lemagemasque on 18-07-2012 19:42
    Thank you jonquille for your pieces of advises!
    I see there is a lot of participation. Awesome!

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from jimmyhavedream, posted on 17-07-2012 at 10:35:33 (D | E)
    Hi Jonquille:
    I corrected it.
    On sunday afternoon,Jimmy and i were running in the park.Accidentally,Jimmy found a very big swimming pool in the center of the park.There were a lot of pretty and sexy girls in the pool.Jimmy called me to swim,I was not confident. I thought it was too dangerous for me,because the pool was so big and deep, even if many pretty girls were in it.

-------------------
    Edited by jimmyhavedream on 18-07-2012 04:19

-------------------
    Edited by jimmyhavedream on 18-07-2012 04:29

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from matou94, posted on 17-07-2012 at 11:41:42 (D | E)
    Hello Jonquille and Everybody

Here is my essay :

While swimming in the Atlantique Ocean, I was very afraid because of the strong currents. I was unable to return to the shore.
    Being used to the swimming pool, I was too confident and I hadn't anticipated enough the dangers of the Ocean.
    I think that this unfortunate experience taught me a lesson !

Thank you Jonquille for this funny game !

-------------------
    Edited by matou94 on 17-07-2012 18:09

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from mfj1226, posted on 17-07-2012 at 13:28:16 (D | E)
    Hello Jonquille,
    Do you know how to be a confident man?Do you want to improve yourself?Come and join in our new kind of party:a Pool Party.There will be a Pro teacher to teach you to swim.It costs only $999,less than $1000!Wow!Don't think about it too much,just join us!

It's my first time, forgive me for not doing it well.

-------------------
    Edited by mfj1226 on 18-07-2012 03:59

-------------------
    Edited by mfj1226 on 19-07-2012 04:31

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from alenjohn, posted on 17-07-2012 at 14:36:41 (D | E)
    Hello,
    one day ,a friend of mine was swimming in swimming pool .he was so confident about his swimming skill .suddenly ,somebady was ....

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 18-07-2012 07:42

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from jonquille, posted on 17-07-2012 at 19:11:58 (D | E)
    Welcome mfj1226 and alenjohn! It's wonderful seeing new people joining this forum. Both of you have a PM (private message) waiting for you!
    In this "game" alone, there have been 12 submissions. Keep them coming! I'm enjoying reading all of them inside, where it's cooler. Outside, it's currently about 36 and very humid. Who needs a shower, I can just go outside!

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from san99, posted on 17-07-2012 at 20:39:27 (D | E)
    Hey Jonquille,
    Can I write more stories, jokes, and sentences on the same three words?How many times can I participate in the game?
    Thanks for being a part of this forum. You are helping us learn better.

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from jonquille, posted on 17-07-2012 at 21:15:41 (D | E)
    You sure can! Just (please!) keep the length of them at 80 words or less!

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from san99, posted on 17-07-2012 at 22:35:24 (D | E)
    Hello,

Here is one more try!
    In my small city school,
    There is a big pool,
    Into its water, I always dribbled my foot,
    Until my socks soaked wet and my friend cheered me up,
    and said "it's cool."
    My friends think that I am confident and energetic,
    Even though it's pathetic, I go swimming all the time,
    I never get tired,
    I never get fed-up,
    It's the way for me to be active,
    To be strong and to be refueled.
    Thank you Jonquille. You know I will keep on writing. I have stopped myself from typing more words Happy now

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 18-07-2012 07:41

-------------------
    Edited by san99 on 18-07-2012 20:14

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from marrrrie, posted on 17-07-2012 at 22:51:18 (D | E)
    Hello,
    Well, here we go!
    School is finished. Happy holiday! We're going to the beach. I'm confident : weather is sunny. Yes, we're going to spend a nice day! We arrive. We run in the sea... Damned! Water is so cold, no : freezing! Well, we have two choices : staying here, and no swimming, only tanning or, if we really want to swim : going to the pool. What do you think we're going to do?

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 18-07-2012 07:42

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from jimmyhavedream, posted on 18-07-2012 at 05:20:24 (D | E)
    Hello,

It's my second try!
    I think Marrrrie has no confidence going to the pool,because the water was freezing!
    Thank you Jonquille for correcting my grammar,event if I have made a lot of mistakes.

-------------------
    Edited by jimmyhavedream on 18-07-2012 05:21

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 18-07-2012 07:43

-------------------
    Edited by jimmyhavedream on 20-07-2012 09:18

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from komiks, posted on 18-07-2012 at 08:23:43 (D | E)
    Hello jonquille,
    Here's a second try.

Yesterday, I came home completly wet. Indeed, I was too confident that I could jump over a pool. My mother scolded me very hard, that's why I think I'll never do that again !

Thank you again for this game.
    Have a nice day.

-------------------
    Edited by komiks on 18-07-2012 15:12
    The comma is here !

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from lakata, posted on 18-07-2012 at 16:05:19 (D | E)
    Hello Jonquille and everybody!

If you have a swimming pool and your children are reluctant to get out of it at night, I think this could do the trick. Just buy a solar powered pool light which illuminates underwater like a magical jellyfish. After collecting light by day, it wirelessly floats in the pool and freaks the kids out by night! And keep confident : it works !...but only once, alas...

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from hortensia, posted on 18-07-2012 at 16:40:53 (D | E)

Well, dear lakata, I think such a "monster" would have scared you away, many years ago, from the tricky pool you mentionned ! I am confident that you'd have successfully continued your walking, perched on your smart, high-heeled shoes !

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from marietherese44, posted on 19-07-2012 at 03:00:55 (D | E)
    Hello Jonquille,
    This challenge is so funny and instructive that a make a second try.
    I developed such a fear about water that I never learned to swim. This fear originates to my childhood. It's so long ago that I can't exactly remember how it happened. But, I think I'll never be confident enough to jump in a pool.

-------------------
    Edited by marietherese44 on 19-07-2012 05:09

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from lakata, posted on 19-07-2012 at 19:39:39 (D | E)
    Hello dear Jonquille,

The poor lost frog...
    We were looking for crabs in a rock pool along the English seashore when we caught sight of a small frog on a rock, what was amazing there ! It didn't move at all, was very short of breath and looked exhausted. Given its backbag, it must have been travelling and, being confident there was very near water probably because of its noise, the poor animal had taken this pool for a freshwater one and was becoming drier and drier in the sun. When we sprayed the frog with our bottle of water, I think it appeared something like a smile on its face...Or maybe it was a French frog just happy to hear somebody speaking its familiar language ?

(I do apologise for being so long, but I am sure you understand, dear, very dear Jonquille, that I couldn't shorten this sad, very sad story, could I?)

-------------------
    Edited by lakata on 20-07-2012 07:58

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from hortensia, posted on 19-07-2012 at 20:42:14 (D | E)

A smiling frog in a pool ! What a nice story, dear Iakata ! I think you should submit the scenario to the Disney people. I'm confident they would make a great movie out of it!

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from marietherese44, posted on 20-07-2012 at 02:43:08 (D | E)
    Hi Iakata,

This story of a smiling frog in a pool is such a nice story. I sincerely think you have a great talent for writing and I'm confident that you may succeed in writing stories for little children.  So you have choice between movie or books or maybe both.

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from lengyunxue, posted on 20-07-2012 at 03:21:24 (D | E)
    Hello,jonquille,I am a new member to this site,I will try for your word challenge:
    What a pity that I have only a swimming at the pool in my university, and I cannot swim until now. A little girl taught me at that time, and i thick she must feel how stupid i was, because when i was in the water, i could not move, not to mention stretch my hands and legs. She was so confident and I was so embarrassed!

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from lakata, posted on 20-07-2012 at 07:57:53 (D | E)

Hello Jonquille and thank you for correcting my too long version!

(and thank you so much to Hortensia and Marietherese44!)

Here is a shorter version of my story***:

Looking for crabs in a rock pool along the English seashore, we spied a small frog on a rock. How amazing to see it there! It wasn't moving, was short of breath, and looked exhausted.Given its backpack, it must have been travelling. Being confident that it heard water nearby, the poor animal had taken this pool for a freshwater one and was becoming drier and drier in the sun. When we sprayed the frog with our bottle of water, I think something like a smile appeared on its face. Or maybe it was a French frog just happy to hear somebody speaking a familiar language?

*** ...after being harshly punished by (dear?) Jonquille.

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from jonquille, posted on 22-07-2012 at 17:56:46 (D | E)
    Good afternoon/evening!
    This game #11 is now closed. I'll "open" #12 in a few hours... but first, a bike ride before it gets too hot!

jonquille

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from lemagemasque, posted on 22-07-2012 at 18:00:40 (D | E)
    Hello,

Have a nice riding!
    I am really excited to take part in the next game.
    Good bye!

Re: Triple Word Challenge #11 from lakata, posted on 22-07-2012 at 18:59:27 (D | E)
    Hello dear Jonquille,

What a gorgeous graphic! Your first one, isn't it? Great!
    However,it is half an hour since I watched the man riding energetically his superb velocipede, and he hasn't moved forward by one metre ! I wonder why. Don't you think there could be anything wrong? You should check...

See you on the next game, as excited as lemagemasque!

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 22-07-2012 22:21
    Mightn't it be anything wrong? sounds strange.
    Could /would there be anything wrong?
    Don't you think something is/may be wrong?

-------------------
    Edited by lakata on 25-07-2012 22:31
    Merci Lucile !

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only
    Page 1 / 2 - To jump to another page: Top | 1 | 2 | End | Bottom