Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Triple Word Challenge #13

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Triple Word Challenge #13
    Message from jonquille posted on 29-07-2012 at 17:02:51 (D | E | F)
    Hello,

Summer is here. Time to play and practice using your English vocabulary! This “game” will have no winners, it will merely be a means of displaying your knowledge and talent! Therefore, the rules are simple, but should the need arise, rules may be adjusted or added.

RULES

Goal: Very simple! Create a text using the 3 words that have been given to you. The text may be short (10-40 words) or longer (60-80 words). PLEASE! Try to keep to these limits, or I'll be up all night reading all of them (and my husband will wonder who is more important) !

1) Who can participate?: All members from beginner to expert.
    2) Word usage: Try to keep the words in the form in which they are given. However, since this is a game to help you improve your English, some changes to the words will be accepted (letters may be added/changed to correspond to the subject, verbs may be changed from singular to plural). For native English speakers, no changes to the words will be allowed.
    3) Language usage: Texts should be correct (grammar, spelling, punctuation). Please make the text appropriate to the users of this site (remember they are of all ages!). You will receive a private message if your text has errors.
    4) Texts: Entries may be surrealistic or “creative” but they must make sense logically!
    5) Game end: Each game will finish on the time and date noted in red. Words for succeeding games will be chosen randomly from the texts of those who have participated in the current game.
    6) Text: To make the words easier to find in the texts, please put the game words in blue.

Important!! Closing date for this game: Saturday, 6 PM in New Hampshire, USA
    (Your first challenge...what time is it for you when it is 6 PM in New Hampshire? )

Your next challenge – to use these words in a text (sentence, SHORT story, poem):

Noun – chess
    Adjective – lucky
    Verb – imagine

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from dolfine56, posted on 29-07-2012 at 18:52:42 (D | E)
    hello, dear Jonquille,

My husband is a fan of chess!
    He never misses an opportunity to play chess.During these holidays,he has already had a chess tournament in Rennes,where he was lucky enough to get a good score. He is having another one in Pau,the French championship,in two weeks....I imagine he'll win once more!
    His study is full of chess trophies!

Thanks for this new one...have a nice week with many pleasant rides.

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from nath56, posted on 30-07-2012 at 00:27:03 (D | E)
    Hello jonquille,
    I already played with my nephews.
    I know a little chess but I imagine if I were to pratice more often, I would be more lucky at winning.

-------------------
    Edited by nath56 on 30-07-2012 16:27

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from terrycho, posted on 30-07-2012 at 05:46:15 (D | E)
    Hello Jonquille,
    I only know a little about chess and there is Chinese chess in China. I imagine the result may be based on someone's strength, but not luck. That is, players are lucky to win chess games, but luck is not enough to be a winner.

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from jeuvois, posted on 30-07-2012 at 09:30:00 (D | E)
    My daughter likes playing chess. She is a lucky player too. Imagine, one day, she will be able to play with a great player ! But before, she must train more...

-------------------
    Edited by jeuvois on 31-07-2012 08:05

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from jimmyhavedream, posted on 30-07-2012 at 09:30:57 (D | E)
    Hello Jonquille:

I was so lucky to have learned chess in school.Now,I think I am an expert. I imagine I could challenge any chess master in the world.

Thank you!

-------------------
    Edited by jimmyhavedream on 01-08-2012 03:32

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from ceres, posted on 30-07-2012 at 11:51:05 (D | E)
    Hello Jonquille

I know how to play chess a little but not enough to win. I imagine if I learned to play, I shall perhaps be a lucky winner.

Thanks for the corrections

-------------------
    Edited by ceres on 31-07-2012 08:39

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from lemagemasque, posted on 30-07-2012 at 16:24:36 (D | E)
    Good morning for jonquille,

Here is my try:
    Fed up with being a mere piece on a chessboard?
    Use the Stanley method and you will climb the career ladder.
    Imagine the face of your boss (or rather, of your ex boss) when you take his place.
    You will feel lucky then to have used the Stanley method.
    Use the Stanley method. Satisfied or your money back!

Goodbye!

PS: Congratulations for having so many participants!

-------------------
    Edited by lemagemasque on 31-07-2012 10:32
    Thank you jonquille for the correction!

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from komiks, posted on 30-07-2012 at 16:45:25 (D | E)
    Hello jonquille,
    I couldn't try the precedent TWC, because I was on holiday (or on vacation in American ) and I hadn't the Internet.
    Here's my try for this game :

I've never understood the rules of chess: it's too complicated. Each time I play, I hope I'll be lucky. Sometimes, I imagine that one day, I'll be the best chess player in the world !

Thank you, dear jonquille, for this game which I love.
    Have a nice day.

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from nath56, posted on 31-07-2012 at 10:45:10 (D | E)
    Hello Jonquille,
    Since 1999, chess has been an Olympic sport. I imagine that work is the solution to win and then to participate in the Olympics. We don't have to be just lucky !

-------------------
    Edited by nath56 on 31-07-2012 16:33

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from lakata, posted on 31-07-2012 at 15:56:01 (D | E)
    Hello dear Jonquille and everybody!

In 1831, a lucky man found 78 ancient chess pieces on the shore of the Isle of Lewis (Scotland). They date back to the 12th century and were probably made in Norway. Most of them are carved in walrus ivory, the others in whales teeth. I let you imagine that they may constitute a complete medieval chess set, which is exceptional !

I can't help showing you some of these chess pieces, particularly because I find them almost comic with their bulging eyes and glum expression . They all look bored to death !
    Maybe the chessgame was endless ? Or was it just a way to express contemplation or wisdom ?

-----------------
    Thank you Jonquille!

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from marietherese44, posted on 31-07-2012 at 16:16:35 (D | E)
    Hi Jonquille,

Here is my try. I hope there will be no bug in it.

I have never played chess. It's a very strategic game and I imagine that I might be very lucky to win.

If there is a bug in this message please tell me.

-------------------
    Edited by marietherese44 on 31-07-2012 21:21

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from violet91, posted on 31-07-2012 at 19:21:22 (D | E)
    Hello dear Jonquille ,

How to solve a riddle and find a criminal orang-outang .

According to Edgar Allan Poe who was not lucky at all in life , a chess player strictly follows Maths rules, which probably needs less talent and sense of risks than for a draughts player who has to be best at logical strategies as well , then imagine his opponent's psychology. (' The murders in the Rue Morgue'. Dupin observes, deduces, creates and imagines ,therefore he can defeat the Paris Police Prefect..)

.I adore your pictures, lakata ! Just fascinating, stunning , amazing... to see such levels in young boys' posts.

Thank you jonquille for appreciating new things and signalling hyphens or spaces. The rest is standard English. ( Maths/ which does not refer to ' rules', but to the complete clause = explanation = ce qui.);
    -------------------
    Edited by violet91 on 01-08-2012 12:00

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from jimmyhavedream, posted on 01-08-2012 at 03:55:20 (D | E)
    Hello Jonquille:

It's my second try.
    I programmed a chess game on my computer last night.That game kept me awake all night.However,I was lucky to have finished it.But I was late for work this morning.I imagine my boss would admire the wonderful chess game I played.

Thanks again Jonquille!

-------------------
    Edited by jimmyhavedream on 01-08-2012 03:56

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from terrycho, posted on 01-08-2012 at 05:13:52 (D | E)
    Hello

My English is not good and I have difficulty understanding violet91's sentence fully. Anyway, I think chess is amazing, it needs to be carefully analyzed. I can imagine that if Sherlock Holmes likes chess, he must be a good player. Do you agree? In my opinion he will be a lucky player. Does anyone know Chinese chess? Its history of being played in China dates back over two thousand years. Compared with chess, I think another kind of the game of "go" is very sililar in China. This game of "go" needs strategy and logic to win. ("go" equal "weiqi" )

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 01-08-2012 07:25

-------------------
    Edited by terrycho on 02-08-2012 04:17

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from jonquille, posted on 02-08-2012 at 03:15:33 (D | E)
    I'm back at my silliness again!

There once was a man with a flare
    Who was known to play chess with a hare
    Not once did he imagine
    That the hare with a grin
    Would have a lucky win at the fair!

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from nath56, posted on 02-08-2012 at 11:09:14 (D | E)
    Hello jonquille,
    Sorry Terrycho, I don't know Chinese chess. I imagine it's really very interesting and pleasant to play. Maybe a day I could try and win if I'm so lucky.

Thank you jonquille !!

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from lakata, posted on 02-08-2012 at 19:49:33 (D | E)
    Hello dear Jonquille and long live your silliness!

Here is a photo of a coat of arms I took in the Baztan Valley ( Navarra). Lucky me !
    Imagine, only here can you see several of these arms proudly displayed in the late XIVth century on the fronts of noble fortified houses. Their owners had been ennobled by the king of Navarra because these brave men had fought numerous battles against his enemies and won fair and square !
    On this picture, there are grapes and a boar, both connected with the occupations of the noble man, as well as his helmet, of course ! There is also a chessboard which represents an army in battle formation, each square being a battalion. All these pieces form obviously a very special symbol of the noble family.

I thank you very much for your correction, Jonquille. I also must and do apologise for being so long, once again. You know, I did try to shorten this text, but no way. I am really sorry.

This time, I managed to make it (just) a little shorter. I'm afraid not enough.

-------------------
    Edited by lakata on 03-08-2012 08:29

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from pinki57, posted on 02-08-2012 at 21:05:46 (D | E)
    Hello dear Jonquille and everybody,

I'm not good enough in English. I am not a Chess player. I'm fond of learning and speaking English.I think, I was lucky too when I saw this website and imagined I'll be the best English Speaker one day.

Thanks Jonquille

-------------------
    Edited by pinki57 on 03-08-2012 05:34

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from notrepere, posted on 02-08-2012 at 22:30:26 (D | E)
    Hello

I absolutely detest competitive games like chess. Who wants to live in a world of winners and losers? I can imagine a world where everyone's talents and abilities are valued, not just those who are lucky enough to be born into a certain social class.

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from jonquille, posted on 03-08-2012 at 00:31:29 (D | E)
    Welcome to all the newcomers to this forum ~ ceres, jeuvois, pinki57, and notrepere! Hope to see you in future “games” here. This game (TWC#13) will end as scheduled on Saturday, however TWC#14 will not be posted until the end of next week, after my return from Montréal. So, keep your “pencils” ready to start in again next week-end!

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from ariane6, posted on 03-08-2012 at 11:44:16 (D | E)
    Hello jonquille !

Alice didn't need to be lucky to beat the absent-minded White Queen at chess. Her royal opponent was totally confused and began to imagine she was a sheep. ( With apologies to Lewis Carroll )

Hello lakata, look! this is my Lewis chess set !

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 03-08-2012 18:25
    Image redimensionnée.

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from lakata, posted on 03-08-2012 at 18:36:37 (D | E)
    Hello dear Jonquille!

Ariane , there is Lewis chess set and Lewis chess set. I am sure rather than imagine that everybody has got the Lewis chess set they deserve. It is a question of maturity and knowledge, not of being lucky.

P.S. "Et toc !" (in French in the text)

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from swan85, posted on 03-08-2012 at 20:18:06 (D | E)
    Hello
    I cannot imagine my friend missing a single chess tournament.
    He is so lucky to participate in such an event that he doesn't hesitate to adjust his work schedule.

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from syrup68, posted on 04-08-2012 at 17:24:10 (D | E)
    Hello Jonquille,

This my text :
    Imagine how lucky I am to know a world Guinness record holder of chess. In the seventies and eighties, he was simultaneously a player, a teacher and an international arbitrator. In the twenties, he distinguished himself by improving the Classic Simultaneous chess game and twice beating world records. He innovated a concept called the International Marathon of Simultaneous chess in a row.

Thank you for your help.
    Syrup68

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from jonquille, posted on 05-08-2012 at 03:46:10 (D | E)
    Hello to all! TWC#13 is now closed!

I thank all of you for playing, and for your patience putting up with my questions, suggestions, and corrections! It's evident (to me, anyway!) how hard many of you are working to make logical and grammatically correct (and short...lakata? ) texts. Keep up the great writing!

The next game (TWC#14) will resume next week-end, after I return home from my trip to Canada. Remember to check the forum next week-end for the new words! Enjoy your week “off!”

jonquille

I was going to add a picture here...but working at my dad's with a dial-up (!!) connection is much too slow! Next time!

Re: Triple Word Challenge #13 from stephanieb, posted on 07-08-2012 at 15:07:41 (D | E)
    Hello,

The Chess is one of the best game of the world.
    Lucky so you if you win ... and don't be sad if you loose !!
    Why ?? Because this play is fantastic !!
    Imagine the game : find your adversary, shake hands, prepare the chessboard, take a strategie, begin the party.
    Play, move, hit, because all is the stake.
    Feel your best for concentrating, anticipating and looking for checkmate.
    At the end of the game, shake hands your opponent and speak about of the party... everytime in joy and good humor.
    Perfect game, good mentality, so nice moment for your brain and spirit.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 07-08-2012 22:11
    Game over,sorry.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only