Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Use/ definite article

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Use/ definite article
    Message from raimunir posted on 19-02-2013 at 17:59:10 (D | E | F)
    Hello,

Could you help me please?
    Definite Article 'the' is used with earth (The Earth), but not with Mars, Neptune and the other planets. Why?
    A reference is needed in this connection.
    Thank you for your answers.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 19-02-2013 19:20

Re: Use/ definite article from dolfine56, posted on 19-02-2013 at 18:21:08 (D | E)
    Hello,
    Maybe,earth is a common name while the others are proper nouns.?

Re: Use/ definite article from rogermue, posted on 19-02-2013 at 19:08:06 (D | E)
    Hello,

I would go with Dolphine56. If you write 'Earth' it is not necessarily clear that you mean the planet Earth. Earth might as well be a personification in a painting, an allegory. Or one of the four main elements of the Middle Ages: earth, water, air and fire.

With the other names there is hardly any confusion possible. The context always makes clear whether you speak of deities
    or of planets.
    I believe the formula was 'the planet Earth' which was shortened to 'the Earth'. But there is no grammar rule for this. It has become a habit to say 'the Earth' and Mars, Neptune etc.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 22-02-2013 07:28

Re: Use/ definite article from stephanieanna, posted on 20-02-2013 at 09:14:53 (D | E)
    Hello

It probably stems from the ancient belief that the earth was the centre of the universe.

Happy birthday, Coppernicus, by the way!

Re: Use/ definite article from mickeycat, posted on 22-02-2013 at 04:30:03 (D | E)
    Hello,
    I guess the reason is that the human live on the earth.So the earth is the most importand planet for us in the universe.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 22-02-2013 07:29

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only