Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Present perfect/simple or continuous

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Present perfect/simple or continuous
    Message from jedi56 posted on 07-05-2013 at 17:08:08 (D | E | F)
    Hello,

I have just done taken this test and I've got a doubt.
    In my opinion, this sentence makes sense in both present perfect simple and continuous. Is that true?
    He has eaten / has been eating (eat) too much, he can't button his trousers.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 07-05-2013 18:05

Re: Present perfect/simple or continuous from lucile83, posted on 07-05-2013 at 18:14:18 (D | E)
    Hello,

As you may know the continuous form insists on the duration of an action.
    It is the case here. Both present perfect are grammatically correct but I think it is better to use v-ing because of the time it takes to eat so much and the idea of reproach the continuous form includes.
    - What have you been doing? You have been eating so much that you're feeling sick now! Too bad.
    Hope this helps.

Re: Present perfect/simple or continuous from jedi56, posted on 07-05-2013 at 19:06:12 (D | E)
    Hello lucile83, as usually it has been a very good explanation. Thanks for your help.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 07-05-2013 21:07
    You are welcome

Re: Present perfect/simple or continuous from talkative, posted on 07-05-2013 at 20:42:59 (D | E)
    Hello,

Both tenses are used to express that an action began in the past and is still going on or has just finished.
    In many cases, both forms are correct, but there is often a difference in meaning: Present Perfect Simple is mainly used to express that an action is completed or to emphasise the result. The Present Perfect Progressive is used to emphasise the duration or continuous course of an action.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 07-05-2013 21:05

Re: Present perfect/simple or continuous from willy, posted on 08-05-2013 at 09:36:51 (D | E)
    Hello!

It dépends on what you want to emphasize:
    - He has eaten too much(a quantity); he can't button his trousers.
    - He has been eating(an action); he can't button his trousers.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only