Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Go/-ing and adjective

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Go/-ing and adjective
    Message from bank posted on 18-07-2013 at 17:52:47 (D | E | F)
    Hello,
    As far as I know, the "ing" form used after "go" is a noun gerund and is a direct object of "go"
    We went sightseeing after the dinner.
    Could the "ing" form be used as an adjective, or an adjectival clause like in "go crazy", "go mad", where "go" is a linking verb?

-------------------
    Edited by bank on 18-07-2013 17:53

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 18-07-2013 18:33

Re: Go/-ing and adjective from lily520, posted on 22-07-2013 at 04:49:31 (D | E)
    Hello,
    No, It's not a linking verb,it is just a verb,"go to school"and so on.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 22-07-2013 07:49

Re: Go/-ing and adjective from violet91, posted on 22-07-2013 at 12:06:47 (D | E)
    Hello bank,

To go is a verb in itself . As you know, it can mean- either ' to move to, change places , walk to , run to, whichever the way of doing so, is . Or it means : to become , to get, to turn = to change state .
    1 ) I would like to go to the swimming pool , as it is so hot these days .
    2 ) Has she gone mad or what ? Look at her ! Shouting and jumping all over the place !!!

Following some kinds of verbs that lead to gerunds :
    A) ---I really like going to the cinema ( as a general statement) ; thus , I go and see a film once a week at least .
    Here, 'going' works as what we call a direct object complement = I like cinema .
    What do you like doing when you have some free time ? - going to the cinema .
    B ) --- Gerunds used as nouns and being the subjects rather ( or objects as in your example ) are called ' nominalised gerunds ´ actually .
    They really function as nouns .
    ---- Sightseeing is quite pleasant and necessary when you discover a famous capital like Paris , London , Moscow or else . The best way for it must be taking a taxi or a sightseeing bus . You are then quickly explained and driven to the most important monuments and places in the capital .
    Touring in the country is also very interesting .
    ---I have come to hate going ( complement) to Paris by car ; driving and parking ( nominalised gerunds, subjects ) have just become hardly possible !
    C ) ex- gerunds positively turned into nouns when there is an article or a term ( , numeral adjective , demonstrative,possessive adjectives, genitive...) to determine them :
    - Leonardo Da Vinci 's drawings are really great and impressive .
    - This painting is gorgeous !
    - Her teaching is not too bad , but there are so many better ones .
    - Jane Austen was one of the first English female writers who expressed her feelings ( noun) and willing ( noun) for women to be considered with the same respect as men were in those days .

Hope this helps. Have a nice day in Russia !

Re: Go/-ing and adjective from bank, posted on 02-08-2013 at 12:45:56 (D | E)
    Hello!

Let me to comment your answer to show what is clear and what remains "under the question". Your lines are in green.
    To go is a verb in itself . As you know, it can mean- either ' to move to, change places , walk to , run to, whichever the way of doing so, is . Or it means : to become , to get, to turn = to change state .Yes, it is how I get it too. It is the verb of directional movement from here to there or it is the verb of changing state.
    A) ---I really like going to the cinema ( as a general statement) ; thus , I go and see a film once a week at least .
    Here, 'going' works as what we call a direct object complement = I like cinema .
    B ) --- Gerunds used as nouns and being the subjects rather ( or objects as in your example ) are called ' nominalised gerunds ´ actually .
    I'm not sure that I see the difference between A and B. If the gerund is the object OR subject it is always called "nominalised gerund" and acts as a noun?
    They really function as nouns? In my example,"We went sightseeing", "sightseeing" acts as a noun? It is the object of the verb "went"? But it couldn't be said,"Sightseeing is what we went" OR "Sightseeing was gone by us" Every object could become a subject. So, I'm not sure it is the object. To me it is a complement of the predicate "went sightseeing"."went sightseeing" acts as one whole, even though "sightseeing" sounds like an object.
    I have come to hate going ( complement) to Paris by car ; driving and parking ( nominalised gerunds, subjects ) have just become hardly possible I can't get the first part of this sentense. (I have come to hate going to Paris). What does it mean? "I have come to hate"?? It is an idiom?
    C ) ex- gerunds positively turned into nouns when there is an article or a term ( , numeral adjective , demonstrative,possessive adjectives, genitive...) to determine them : You mean that ing nouns come from gerunds?
    If I saw modifiers like "nouns", "pronouns", adjectives before "ing" form, this ing form is always noun and this noun couldn't take the direct object? It is impossible to say,"this painting trees seems tedious" "Her feeling the pain was strong".
    The ing nouns came from only intransitive gerunds?

Could one say,"Going to the sinema is what I like/hate" or "Going to cinema is liked/hated by me"?
    We stopped talking. Talking was stopped by us. (gerund)
    He/we stopped our talking. Our talking was stopped by him/us. (noun)

-------------------
    Edited by bank on 02-08-2013 17:49

Re: Go/-ing and adjective from violet91, posted on 02-08-2013 at 20:40:14 (D | E)
    Hello again

- Certain verbs expressing opinions , tastes ,dislikes , beginning, end , movement ( go, come), continuity ( keep)..
    --prepositions (at, on, in, with ,for , before , after ...) are generally followed by gerunds .

1 ) As you go shopping ,skiing , swimming , you go sightseeing . After sightseeing , you'll start having your meal,finish eating , have a walk and go to bed .
    The verbal form is called a ' gerund ' . It is because of the verb you use , you must follow the grammar rule.

2 ) I enjoy watching adventure and detective films , but I hate watching cartoons ( as a general statement ) .

3 ) Before going to bed and to sleep , you'll read a book , maybe.

4 ) Nominalised gerunds function as nouns : therefore , they can be subjects ( grammatical term) or complements .

Teaching is not really easy ! = I find teaching not really easy in many cases .
    Teaching includes repeating .
    after adverbs or conjunctions : when / while ( = on ) present participle
    While watching ( present participle) television , this lady is capable of knitting ( gerund = verbal form) in the same time .

I hope this time , you got me ...bye .

Re: Go/-ing and adjective from bank, posted on 20-08-2013 at 23:22:37 (D | E)
    Hello!

Certain verbs expressing opinions , tastes ,dislikes , beginning, end , movement ( go, come), continuity ( keep)..
    prepositions (at, on, in, with ,for , before , after ...) are generally followed by gerunds .

I'm not sure that the verb "come" is followed by the gerund. I think "come" is followed by the present participle.

As you go shopping ,skiing , swimming , you go sightseeing . After sightseeing , you'll start having your meal,finish eating , have a walk and go to bed .
    To bed in "go to bed" is an infinitive?

Nominalised gerunds function as nouns : therefore , they can be subjects ( grammatical term) or complements .
    But if the gerund follows the verbs "like","begin",,,it is not Nominalised gerund? Which gerunds are not nominalised?

-------------------
    Edited by bank on 20-08-2013 23:23

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 21-08-2013 08:06

Re: Go/-ing and adjective from bank, posted on 20-08-2013 at 23:27:27 (D | E)
    Could the "ing" form be used as an adjective, or an adjectival clause like in "go crazy", "go mad", where "go" is a linking verb?I ask only about using after the linking verbs.

Re: Go/-ing and adjective from lucile83, posted on 21-08-2013 at 08:21:29 (D | E)
    Hello

You already asked that question; the answer was:
    from lily520, posted on 22-07-2013 at 04:49:31 (D | E)
    Hello,
    No, It's not a linking verb,it is just a verb,"go to school"and so on.

Read this:
    Link

Re: Go/-ing and adjective from bank, posted on 21-08-2013 at 19:05:00 (D | E)
    lucile, in Longman dictionary it is said that go flying/laughing/rushing etc
    to move in a particular way, or to do something as you are moving:
    The plate went crashing to the floor.
    The bullet went flying over my head.
    John went rushing off down the corridor.
    Do you think that these ing forms are the gerunds, not participles? I think "went" is a linking verb here and the ing form is a participle(the deverbal adjective)

Re: Go/-ing and adjective from bank, posted on 21-08-2013 at 19:08:23 (D | E)
    As to comparing "go" in " go sightseeing" with "go" in "go to school"...
    "go" in "go to school" is really intransitive. But in "go sightseeing" it looks like the transitive one.

On the link you gave it is said that Linking verbs simply tell readers about a person, place, thing or idea. Action verbs show readers what a subject does

But in most cases the linking verb with the subject complement says what the subject does. (He became angry.= He lost his temper.)
    So, this explanation doesn't always work . It works only with "be" linking verb. I have no problem with "be". I have a problem with "go" and "come" only. I think there are cases when "come" and "go" are linking verbs with the deverbal adjectives that are ended with "ing" too.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 21-08-2013 21:30

Re: Go/-ing and adjective from lucile83, posted on 21-08-2013 at 21:38:12 (D | E)
    Hello,

It is said in the link

Types
    Certain verbs are always linking verbs. These are:
    Forms of TO BE: (am, is, are, was, were, have been, has been, is being, was being)
    Forms of TO BECOME: (become, becomes, became, has become, had become)
    Forms of TO SEEM: (seem, seemed, seems, is seeming, are seeming, had seemed)
    Some verbs can be either action or linking verbs, such as look, smell, taste, sound, feel, remain, prove, grow and appear.

Become is a linking verb.
    Go and come are action verbs.

Re: Go/-ing and adjective from gerondif, posted on 22-08-2013 at 00:27:29 (D | E)
    Hello,

this is what I usually teach my students:
    go and come have two patterns when it comes to translate the idea of "go and do this" "come and do that"
    Pattern 1: Go and help your father! Come and play with me, come and play tennis, come and play cards.... Go and open the door, come and turn the light on.....
    When you deal with sports, the rule seems to be as follows:
    my pattern 1 will apply to team activities played in an enclosed place:
    Come and play football, tennis, etc
    Go and play rugby.
    Go and play poker, bridge (games)

Pattern 2 is used for activities done outside and on your own:
    Go swimming, go running, go abseiling, go skiing;
    Go shopping ! (considered as a sport!!!)

Just in case this is what you were worrying about....
    He goes crazy, he went mad .... is something else, where "go" means "to become"

-------------------
    Edited by gerondif on 22-08-2013 00:28

Re: Go/-ing and adjective from bank, posted on 02-09-2013 at 15:05:09 (D | E)
    Hello, Gerondif.

I just wanted to get the difference between the functions of "ing" forms in some cases after the verb "go"/"come".
    It's clear that "go" is a linking verb when it followed by the adjectives.(like the verb "be")(go/be mad)
    What about the case when it followed by the participles, the transitive and intransitive ones?
    He went giving my clothes to the beggar.There is not such form of the verb as "went giving", only "was giving". So the auxiliary verb "went" couldn't be the part of the continuous form of the verb "give". Also, it is nor the linking verb, because the linking verb couldn't be followed by the trtansitive participle. So, I'm not sure which kind of the predicate the predicate "went giving" is. I would say "went giving" is a compound nominal predicate, where the nominal, main part, is expressed by the participle (transitive or not)and the auxilary part is expressed by the verb of movement, not the linking verb as in the case "go crazy". What do you think about?
    Would you say that "went giving" is a compound verbal predicate as "to start giving","to continue giving" "to like to dance"? I wouldn't say this.
    The ing form in the verbal predicate is a process which is expressed by the gerund that is something middle between the noun and the verb.. But in "went giving" we deal with the participle, something middle between the adjective and the verb. Yes?

In my origin post "We went sightseeing after the dinner" we deal with the compound verbal predicate, when "sightseeing" means the prosess and expressed by the gerund. Yes?
    But in the case "He came running" "came running"="came"+"the participle "running"="the compound nominal predicate"(running is not the process)

-------------------
    Edited by bank on 02-09-2013 15:16

Re: Go/-ing and adjective from gerondif, posted on 02-09-2013 at 22:13:12 (D | E)
    Hello

He went giving my clothes to the beggar for me is the same as:
    he started/ went on/stopped/ giving my clothes to the beggar: giving is a gerund.

"He went and gave all my clothes to the beggar" is what I would say to describe a precise action.

"After his stroke and his miraculous recovery, he went giving money to everybody around him" would describe a change in behaviour, not a precise action, so I don't know how you understood your example.

He came/went/ into the room, smoking. Present participle.

He came smiling/panting/smoking/ into the room. Same thing, present participle.
    It means: He came and he was smiling. As he came into the room, he was smiling.

He went running (gerund) is different: It means : He went somewhere in order to run.

He came running into the room (present participle) means that as he came into the room, he was running.

Re: Go/-ing and adjective from bank, posted on 06-09-2013 at 00:35:02 (D | E)
    Hello!
    I understand that "he went giving my clothes to the beggar" is the same as:
    he started/ went on/stopped/ giving my clothes to the beggar:
    But I disagree that "giving" is a gerund in this sentence. You wouldn't say "went" whaT "giving"?
    What would you tell about"go giving"? You couldn't go giving my clothes to every beggar who open the door into my room" "giving" is a participle OR gerund here?

"After his stroke and his miraculous recovery, he went giving money to everybody around him" would describe a change in behaviour, not a precise action, so I don't know how you understood your example. I would say it is a participle here, not the gerund Yes?

-------------------
    Edited by bank on 06-09-2013 00:

Re: Go/-ing and adjective from notrepere, posted on 06-09-2013 at 05:13:59 (D | E)
    Hello

He went giving my clothes to the beggar.

First of all, "went giving" is not proper English. You can say "went on giving", but "giving" cannot come directly after the verb "go". The verb "go" is used idiomatically in English and only certain -ing forms (generally activities like skiing and swimming) can come directly after the verb "go". He went on/kept on/ giving my clothes (gerund phrase). Since "my clothes" is the direct object of "giving", this gerund has more of a "verby" feel. See this link:
    Link

It's still a gerund though. Participles function as adjectives modifying nouns and this has no such function.

Re: Go/-ing and adjective from gerondif, posted on 06-09-2013 at 17:40:05 (D | E)
    Hello,

found on the dictionary on line (double click on go)
    go begging vi: (ask strangers for money) (in a way, the opposite of your "he went giving money...)
    She sank so low that she went begging from everyone she ever knew.

Re: Go/-ing and adjective from notrepere, posted on 06-09-2013 at 22:24:38 (D | E)
    Hello gerondif

Yes, "begging" is certainly classified as an activity. It's what a 'beggar' does. Although it seems logical that we could use the same argument for the word 'giver', I've never heard it used that way. A 'giver' is not a specific-enough type of activity perhaps.

Re: Go/-ing and adjective from bank, posted on 18-09-2013 at 17:13:42 (D | E)
    Hello,
    Is the ing form is a gerund oR participle in "She sank so low that she went begging from everyone she ever knew"?
    "went begging"is a nominal predicate or verbal?
    If it is the verbal predicate, then "begging" is a complement of the verb "went". If it is the nominal than it is the complement of the subject.

Re: Go/-ing and adjective from bank, posted on 18-09-2013 at 17:25:10 (D | E)
    Notrepere, I saw the using "go" with "giving" by the native English people. I'm not sure if "go giving" is the same as "go on giving" as you claim. They mean different things.
    Also, what do you think about the ing form in "The plate went crashing to the floor.
    The bullet went flying over my head.
    John went rushing off down the corridor."
    ?
    Is it the gerund OR the participle?
    Is it the part of the nominal predicate, OR the part of the verbal predicate?
    To me, "flying" "rushing" and "crashing" here is not the same part of speech and sentence as in "He went sightseeing" OR "He went flying yesterday".
    "went rushing" is a nominal predicate,"rushing" is a participle, "went sightseeing" is a verbal predicate and "sightseeing" is a gerund, the complement of the verb.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only