Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Ache-hurt-pain/help

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Ache-hurt-pain/help
    Message from sabrina1011 posted on 25-09-2013 at 15:13:39 (D | E | F)
    Hello everyone,
    What is the difference between ache, hurt, pain,and sore?
    Thank you for your help!
    Sabrina

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 25-09-2013 15:32

Re: Ache-hurt-pain/help from gerondif, posted on 25-09-2013 at 15:31:06 (D | E)
    Hello,
    a dictionary would answer you.
    If you double click on each word, a dictionary will give you not only the French translation but also English synonyms between brackets: (for instance inflamed for sore)

ache is a noun: I have a headache.
    to ache is a verb too: My back aches.

pain is a noun: I feel a pain in my ankle.
    to pain is a verb: It pains me to see you so discouraged.

to hurt is a verb: Ouch! You hurt me.
    hurt is a past participle used as an adjective: I am hurt.

sore is an adjective: I feel sore. I have a sore throat.

Re: Ache-hurt-pain/help from lucile83, posted on 25-09-2013 at 15:38:53 (D | E)
    Hello,

You can search for all that in an English dictionary
    Link

gerondif, sabrina possibly doesn't speak French.

Re: Ache-hurt-pain/help from sabrina1011, posted on 25-09-2013 at 16:13:28 (D | E)
    Thank you all!
    Sabrina^-^

Re: Ache-hurt-pain/help from vania19, posted on 26-09-2013 at 19:18:47 (D | E)
    Sabrina,
    These four words are similar.
    "HURT" is a verb.
    The others are nouns. Their functions change. You have to pay attention to the context.
    Vania19

Re: Ache-hurt-pain/help from violet91, posted on 27-09-2013 at 00:06:16 (D | E)
    Hi , sabrina ,
    I'd say these four words refer to the same thing : meaning something bad affects your body or your mind , but they can express different degrees .
    As gerondif gave the complete use of them , you can see 'to hurt ' is the only one being a verb only . Two others - ache and pain - can be either verbs or nouns . At last , sore is an adjective which usually qualifies a noun . ( very seldom a noun) .

a ) to ache and headache, toothache ...concern physical pains which can normally be soothed or treated with a treatment and medicines .
    b ) a pain is a synonym ( painful = it aches # painless) . You can have a pain in your back or elsewhere in your body ...and there is no compound noun finishing with -ache which can express it .
    - You can also have a pain in your heart which is an equivalent of sorrow . You feel sad or worse , desperate.
    c) to hurt can be used in two cases : you hurt somebody with a knife you held carelessly and he/she is injured by you ; you hate injections because you find they hurt ! Ouch ! It hurts ! ( It would not last long...)
    -Or you quarrel with a friend and it hurts you mentally .
    d ) Sore is an adjective which expresses a very sharp pain which gives you the impression of having some part of your body which is burning , very inflamed . Your throat is sore because of tonsillitis . It will be treated .
    You have walked for so long , you feel the soles of your feet sore . After a rest , you will be all right .
    Sore > sorrow , grief : to be sore at heart . You might never recover ...or very slowly , with time .
    [ I just checked it up in a dictionary : sore( as a noun) seems to mean scurf ( a skin disease ) ].

You didn't mention ' to suffer from ' which covers all sorts of pains you feel ( physical and mental) and can finish with death .

Hope this completes the other explanations.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only