Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Future in the past/help

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Future in the past/help
    Message from anamaria1234 posted on 05-12-2013 at 17:49:21 (D | E | F)
    Hello,
    I can't recognize, when I use the form was/were to + infinitive and when I use the form was/were + ing form .
    Also I can't recognize the difference between was/were about to + infinitive and was/were going to + infinitive.
    Thank you for your help.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 06-12-2013 00:09

Re: Future in the past/help from gerondif, posted on 05-12-2013 at 18:04:12 (D | E)
    Hello,
    the form was/were to + infinitive: I am to meet him tomorrow means that it has been planned.
    I was to meet him when he cancelled the meeting = I was supposed to meet him, i was expected to meet him .

the form was/were + ing form: I was sleeping when the phone rang. I was sleeping describes what you were doing before something interrupted it.

was/were about to + infinitive : I was about to ring you when you eventually came. means that you were going to do it the next minute.
    was/were going to + infinitive : I was going to phone you when you came: is the same but with less urgency.

Re: Future in the past/help from anamaria1234, posted on 07-12-2013 at 16:39:43 (D | E)
    Thank you very much!

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only