Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Collocations/help

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Collocations/help
    Message from passenger75 posted on 22-02-2014 at 23:04:24 (D | E | F)
    Hello to you all,

I found it difficult to answer when I was taking some multiple choice tests in my book.Would you please help me?I made my answers distinct by highlighting them with green.Please tell me which ones are correct and which ones aren't,and also give me a brief explanation about each.Thank you in advance.

1)I'm happy to say that you have all sat/taken/passed your math test.
    2)Will the teacher give/provide/make us some feedback on our essays?
    3)The university agrees/recognizes/takes the school-leaving exams of most other countries.
    4)It isn't compulsory to assist/attend/listen all the lectures at this university.
    5)How long will it take you to complete/carry out/fulfill your degree?
    6)You must submit/send/write your application in before the end of June.
    7)Several students have decided to withdraw/go/leave the course this year.
    8)I want you all to write/hold/keep a vocabulary notebook for all new words and expressions.
    9)The college she wants to go to costs $18.000, but she has only $10.000.She needs a(n) full/athletic/partial scholarship.
    10)Unfortunately,the professor has done/assigned/marked a lot of homework,and we will be busy all week doing it.
    11)Schools which are funded by the government are called national/government/state schools.
    12)Many children below the age of five go to nursery/nursing/kindergarten school.
    13)At school children learn a lot of subjects/topics/lessons,such as math and science.
    14)I got a good grade on my history exam, but unfortunately I failed/fell/lost my physics.
    15)There wasn't an Italian class at her school, so she learned/studied/taught herself to speak it.
    Blue words are given choices and greens are my answers.Thank you very much.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 23-02-2014 08:07

Re: Collocations/help from jonquille, posted on 23-02-2014 at 00:49:56 (D | E)
    Hello! Very good, but there are a few sentences where you did not choose the correct word.

I'm happy to say that you have all sat/taken/passed your math test. OK
    2)Will the teacher give/provide/make us some feedback on our essays? OK
    3)The university agrees/recognizes/takes the school-leaving exams of most other countries. OK
    4)It isn't compulsory to assist/attend/listen all the lectures at this university. OK
    5)How long will it take you to complete/carry out/fulfill your degree? OK
    6)You must submit/send/write your application in before the end of June. No -- pay attention to the preposition "in" -- you don't "submit (something) in"
    7)Several students have decided to withdraw/go/leave the course this year. No -- you "withdraw FROM" a course
    8)I want you all to write/hold/keep a vocabulary notebook for all new words and expressions. OK
    9)The college she wants to go to costs $18.000, but she has only $10.000.She needs a(n) full/athletic/partial scholarship. OK
    10)Unfortunately,the professor has done/assigned/marked a lot of homework,and we will be busy all week doing it. OK
    11)Schools which are funded by the government are called national/government/state schools. OK
    12)Many children below the age of five go to nursery/nursing/kindergarten school. OK
    13)At school children learn a lot of subjects/topics/lessons,such as math and science. OK
    14)I got a good grade on my history exam, but unfortunately I failed/fell/lost my physics. OK
    15)There wasn't an Italian class at her school, so she learned/studied/taught herself to speak it. No -- You learn something, but you don't learn yourself something. You can learn something BY yourself.
    Blue words are given choices and greens are my answers.Thank you very much.

Hope this helped!

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 23-02-2014 08:08
    No red please

Re: Collocations/help from passenger75, posted on 23-02-2014 at 05:02:43 (D | E)
    Thank you very much.You helped me a lot.
    And would you give me the correct answers for those which were wrong?

Re: Collocations/help from jonquille, posted on 23-02-2014 at 06:11:27 (D | E)
    I will...after you tell me what YOU think they would be. You've already eliminated one of the three choices... ;)

Re: Collocations/help from passenger75, posted on 23-02-2014 at 10:29:34 (D | E)
    Okay thank you again.
    I think no. 6 would be send.
    No. 7 is leave.I'm pretty sure about this.
    No. 15 is taught.
    How is my English?

Re: Collocations/help from lemagemasque, posted on 23-02-2014 at 15:47:38 (D | E)
    Hello!

I think you're right!
    See you!

Re: Collocations/help from jonquille, posted on 23-02-2014 at 17:39:17 (D | E)
    Yes, you are right! Bravo! From what I see here, your English is very good!

...and Lucile? I don't normally use red for corrections (I prefer green or blue..or even purple ), but since the original color choices used by passenger75 were in blue and green, I wanted to be sure the errors were obvious. I suppose I could have used pink to "soften" the red... or maybe purple could be added here as color choice?

Re: Collocations/help from lucile83, posted on 23-02-2014 at 18:40:22 (D | E)
    Oh I see! passenger75 wanted to look like a Christmas tree!
    Never mind, it is ok jonquille

Re: Collocations/help from passenger75, posted on 23-02-2014 at 18:47:55 (D | E)
    Thank you all.
    If it is not okay,I wouldn't do it again.Just remind me if so.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only