Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Fingers crossed /Meaning

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Fingers crossed /Meaning
    Message from carly97 posted on 14-10-2014 at 18:32:19 (D | E | F)
    Hello everyone..
    Fingers crossed it's better by the time I teach....
    What does this sentence mean please?
    Thanks for any reply.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 14-10-2014 19:28

-------------------
    Edited by carly97 on 14-10-2014 20:05

Re: Fingers crossed /Meaning from bluestar, posted on 14-10-2014 at 18:39:06 (D | E)
    Hello,
    It means "with luck it will be better.." etc. People sometimes cross their fingers "for luck" when they are hoping for a good outcome.

Re: Fingers crossed /Meaning from tdu6300, posted on 14-10-2014 at 19:46:34 (D | E)
    Hello

Finger crossed it's better by the time I teach....
    What does this sentence mean?

"Finger crossed" may mean that your finger is not happy and is showing it...

What I mean is that one of the meaning of "crossed" is "showing one's unhappyness or ill-humor"
    The correct expression is "fingers crossed" because you need at least two fingers to be able to cross them.
    If you don't believe me try and cross only one of your fingers. If you succeed, I think you'll go to hospital next.

The fact of crossing fingers is supposed to bring you luck.
    If you are supersticious you may do it every time you need to invoke luck.
    I must admit that I would have liked to see the whole sentence because it seems a bit strange.
    Of course, I totally agree with Bluestar's answer.
    Best regards and don't forget to have fun.

Re: Fingers crossed /Meaning from carly97, posted on 14-10-2014 at 20:08:01 (D | E)
    Bluestar.... THANK you
    But still I don't understand the meaning of the complete sentence " Fingers crossed it's better by the time I teach."

Re: Fingers crossed /Meaning from carly97, posted on 14-10-2014 at 20:09:48 (D | E)
    tdu6300... I'm really thankful for you..
    You're right... That was just a spelling mistake...

Re: Fingers crossed /Meaning from bluestar, posted on 15-10-2014 at 10:05:51 (D | E)
    Hello,

It means "If I am lucky it will be better when the time comes for me to start teaching."

We don't know what 'it' refers to as no context has been given. 'Fingers crossed' means 'I am crossing my fingers to bring me luck'. For example, "Fingers crossed I will win the lottery next week"

Re: Fingers crossed /Meaning from violet91, posted on 15-10-2014 at 12:03:34 (D | E)
    Hello ,
    For a wish to come true or stop curse :
    You have got the same superstitious equivalent in Spanish as we have in French. ' Let's touch wood', whose origin is religious ( J.C's wooden cross).

The English gesture seems to have got rid of any religious idea ( or it might be attenuated): people put their middle fingers over their forefingers with keeping both hands up .
    It should be translated into 'May God keep us safe from any hard luck !' Or' May something you deeply wish happen !
    Good luck !
    Did it help ?

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 15-10-2014 14:19
    English only is allowed on this forum.

Re: Fingers crossed /Meaning from carly97, posted on 16-10-2014 at 00:15:10 (D | E)
    I'm really thankful to all of you.
    Now, I got it... Thanks so much.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only