Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

About photos/help

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

About photos/help
    Message from lemage posted on 20-10-2014 at 14:40:31 (D | E | F)
    Hi, I've the feeling my prose is not perfect, can someone help me to correct my text ?
    Here is a patch:

I like these pleasant photos, there is something of perfect work. As usual you are skillful to balance color and value.
    In that case, if I were to be yourself I would try and take a little risk with square picture frame which is more difficult (supposedly) than 4:3 one.
    Best.
    L.

Thanks in advance.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 20-10-2014 18:54

Re: About photos/help from carlabice47, posted on 21-10-2014 at 08:20:57 (D | E)
    Hello,
    I'm not sure I've got the context right. Nevertheless the sentence starting with " if I were to be yourself" is to be translated with the phrase : if I were you / were I you.

I like your lovely photos, they look perfect (they're very near perfection) As usual you are skilled at balancing colours and value
    In this case, were I you, I would try and take a little risk with square picture frames , whuich is supposed to be more difficult than with the 4:3 one.

Hope this will help.
    Have a nice day, cb47

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 21-10-2014 16:02

Re: About photos/help from carlabice47, posted on 21-10-2014 at 08:43:34 (D | E)
    sorry, there' s a mistake with the 4:3 ones
    Bye bye

Re: About photos/help from lemage, posted on 21-10-2014 at 15:09:51 (D | E)
    Thank you very much Carlabice: I was mainly worried about the sentence ‘if I were to be yourself …” which is second conditional, yours seems to be more simple.
    I strive to build sentences in English forums, lovely bicycle in that case headed by a brilliant person. I have decided to comment on with more personal opinions, sometimes it feels to be a form of ‘walking on eggs’.
    Bye bye .

Re: About photos/help from carlabice47, posted on 22-10-2014 at 08:10:37 (D | E)
    Here the rules of the 2nd conditional

if + past tense simple / would/ could * base form
    if- clause main clause
    the if clause is supposed to be in the subjunctive , which practically does not exist in English, except for the verb to be ( were, were,were, were, were , were). Sometimes you can use the so-called inversion, putting the verb before the subject . This has a conditional meaning in sentences like : were I you ( if I were/was you) , I wouldn't do it.
    Hope this has helped. Carla

Bye bye

Re: About photos/help from carlabice47, posted on 22-10-2014 at 08:13:18 (D | E)
    hi, one last idea: " If I were in your shoes" means If I were in your place .

Re: About photos/help from lucile83, posted on 22-10-2014 at 10:26:05 (D | E)
    Hello,

'To be to' expresses that something has been planned.
    He is to come here = his visit has been planned and we are sure he will come.

The subjunctive is used in English and looks like the infinitive.
    He ordered that she go out
    It is important that he write to his mother

That is formal language. Instead of the subjunctive we often use 'should'.

Re: About photos/help from lemage, posted on 22-10-2014 at 16:38:45 (D | E)
    Hello/hi, Carla and Lucile (grammar angels ) : thanks for these tips, me and fellow readers are to improve our grammar skill.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only