Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Tubular tyres/help

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Tubular tyres/help
    Message from lemage posted on 22-11-2014 at 10:39:01 (D | E | F)
    Hello,

I am not the king of grammar and I strive to be careful before sending a post into a bicycle forum.
    Can someone help me to correct my text?
    Thank you for any reply.
    "I have a randonneur bike with tubular tyres (Vittoria Pavé EVO with Kevlar 28 mm), I keep my fingers crossed because I can't sew. Thanks to Mister Kevlar.
    If I have to repair I will probably deal with a couturier for the final process.
    However, if I were to live in Coleraine city I am not sure I would dare to go into a such beautiful workshop with a broken tubular in my hand."

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 22-11-2014 15:05

Re: Tubular tyres/help from here4u, posted on 22-11-2014 at 12:56:42 (D | E)
    Hello !
    This looks correct to me, but I don't know anything about bikes, tyres, and 'couturiers' ...
    However, 'Thanks to Mister Kevlar.' sounds strange to me here as 'thanks to' is supposed to introduce a sentence : I'd say :'Thank you very much, Mr K' ...
    or 'Thanks to Mr K, I could find my dream tyres ! '
    Hope it will help !

Re: Tubular tyres/help from violet91, posted on 22-11-2014 at 14:19:58 (D | E)
    Hello lemage
    Merci de nous amener ŕ 'plancher ' sur Vittoria randonneur bikes and tubular tyres I had no idea of the existence, up to now ! Are you wondering what to do in case of a puncture ? Are you speaking of a patch ( or glue ) for that ?
    Thanks to Mr Kevlar ,your tyres are made with a particularly strong anti-puncture protection ,I've just read ,therefore they should keep safe all the way ! Vittoria website explains things , anyway .
    You wouldn't speak of a 'broken' tyre, would you ?
    Have a good ride in this beautiful part of France !

Re: Tubular tyres/help from lemage, posted on 22-11-2014 at 15:35:10 (D | E)
    Hello
    Tubular tyre* is an old fashion and reliable technology for bicycle wheel, mainly for race or vintage bike, it's rarely setting on randonneur bicycle.
    In my case I built my own wheels: the tube is stick to the rim (special rim with no clinchers), last but not least, there is a chamber inside the tube. Therefore, it's possible to repair a punctured tubular tyre with a patch over the chamber but, at the end of the work, you need to sew up the tube.
    Vittoria is a tyre brand and Kevlar is a strong anti-puncture material as Violet91 said.
    I've picked up couturier word in my French/English dictionnary. "randonneur" is not in my dictionnary but it seems this french word is used in circle of cyclists.
    So, here is another attempt:
    "I have a randonneur bike with tubular tyres (Vittoria Pavé EVO with Kevlar 28 mm), I keep my fingers crossed because I can't sew. Thank you very much, Mr Kevlar.
    If I have to repair I will probably deal with a couturier for the final process.
    However, if I were to live in Coleraine city I am not sure I would dare to go into a such beautiful workshop with a broken tubular in my hand.
    "

Hope this will make sense and thank you very much here4u and violet91.

* tubular tyre is not a tubeless tyre.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 22-11-2014 15:59

Re: Tubular tyres/help from notrepere, posted on 22-11-2014 at 17:54:44 (D | E)
    Hello

I have a randonneur bike with tubular tyres (Vittoria Pavé EVO with Kevlar 28 mm), I am keeping my fingers crossed because I can't sew. Thank you very much, Mr Kevlar.
    If I have to repair it I will probably deal with a couturier for the final process.
    However, even if I lived in Coleraine city I am not sure I would dare to go into such a beautiful workshop with a broken tubular in my hand."

Re: Tubular tyres/help from violet91, posted on 22-11-2014 at 18:38:24 (D | E)
    Hello again, lemage ,
    Thank you for giving some more information about those wheels and tyres . There is always something interesting to know. I saw on the web photos of tubular tyres and also read the tube was stuck on the rim with some special glue .
    Have nice rides in SW of France , then .

Re: Tubular tyres/help from here4u, posted on 23-11-2014 at 14:29:52 (D | E)

Still with my total lack of knowledge of this sort of bikes ...and tyres (aren't they the 'boyaux' one of my grandfathers was mentioning? I know it may sound horrible and disgusting, but I'm a Beotian as far as vintage cycles are concerned ... ) For me a tyre simply has a 'puncture', and I'd never dream of sewing it back ! I'd rather walk !
    have a good sunny Sunday ! (sun here again in Paris !)

Re: Tubular tyres/help from lemage, posted on 23-11-2014 at 15:39:56 (D | E)
    Hmm,
    notrepere, thank you very much too. Progressive tense is a good idea, I need to work on basic rules and conjunctions. In fact, when I write over English blogs, my purpose is to build sentences but I strive also to avoid clumsy words or mistakes.
    I wouldn't bother violet91 and here4u, so I end the tubular subject with a small repair tip.
    With a punctured tubular tyre, even this kind of technology allows the cyclist to ride for a few kilometers with a flat tyre, repair can be easy : you snatch the tube from the rim (there is always a small part not glued ...) and replace with another new one with a piece of glue.
    I have never experimented that because Mr Kevlar is my friend.

Post scriptum: I've found a better word "seamstress" instead of "couturier", it seems to be more appropriate.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 23-11-2014 19:34

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only