Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Quotation marks/help

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Quotation marks/help
    Message from lukaznachi posted on 01-02-2015 at 12:20:26 (D | E | F)
    Hello,
    I have several questions about quotation marks.
    Firstly, can somebody explain to me when we should use single and when double quotation marks? Also, I'm particularly interested in American English, i.e. I want to know whether the United States prefer single or double quotation marks. I've heard that the United States use “ ” for all primary quotations and ‘ ’ for quotations within quotes, while Britain uses ‘ ’ for all primary quotations and “ ” for quotations within quotes. Is this correct?
    I will really appreciate if somebody explains this to me briefly and clearly, because there are so many different sources with different explanations that I am confused and I don't know which one to trust.
    Thank you for any reply.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 01-02-2015 14:02

Re: Quotation marks/help from traviskidd, posted on 01-02-2015 at 14:37:20 (D | E)
    Hello. I don't know about Britain, but you are correct about the US. See you.

Re: Quotation marks/help from lukaznachi, posted on 01-02-2015 at 14:53:35 (D | E)
    Thank you.

Re: Quotation marks/help from violet91, posted on 01-02-2015 at 19:10:43 (D | E)
    Hello ,
    As for British English punctuation , there are slight differences , but it is not that strict
    Quotation marks or inverted commas : there are two systems.
    1 ) Either you use '....' ( two single signs ) for a quotation and sign of a dialogue ( direct speech , spoken English ): and that is what is mostly done .

'To be or not to be', as you know .
    The children were playing and suddenly shouted 'Hey ! Here comes Dracula !'

2 ) Or if you quote somebody famous in direct speech , you can have both systems included in the same sentence ( clause ) : ' Are you telling me Hamlet said '' To be or not to be '' and you don't really understand what he meant there ? ' ( the single commas and the double ones )
    See you .

Re: Quotation marks/help from lukaznachi, posted on 02-02-2015 at 09:19:53 (D | E)
    Thanks.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only