Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Determiner/Pronoun

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Determiner/Pronoun
    Message from passenger75 posted on 09-07-2015 at 02:42:05 (D | E | F)
    Hello,
    wish you have a good time.
    Looking up the schema in my dictionary, I saw that whose can be a pronoun as well as a determiner; when is it a determiner and when a pronoun?
    Whose book is it? Is it a determiner here?
    I like the author whose stories are mysterious. Is it a pronoun here?
    Would you please expound upon your answers?
    Thank you for your help in advance.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 09-07-2015 05:14

Re: Determiner/Pronoun from carlabice47, posted on 12-07-2015 at 12:14:36 (D | E)
    Hi, passenger 75.
    Thanks for writing.
    First , let's distinguish between interrogative pronouns and adverbs ( often called wh- pronouns / wh-adverbs)
    Whose interrogative, is one of these:
    Whose car is this ? Whose is this car ? ( no difference in meaning, you want to know who the car belongs to).

Whose, relative pronoun, can be defining or non-defining.
    The former refers to " the one that " . "That's the lady whose car was cannibalized " . I'm referring to the lady who had a car which was cannibalized. If you omit " whose car was cannibalized" the sentence makes no sense . In this case WHOSE is a DEFINING relative pronoun. You cannot use a comma between the two sentences , nor can you omit the one starting with " whose....." .
    If, instead, I say . " The lady, whose son won the prize, is a very old friend of my mother's", I'm using a NON-DEFINING relative pronoun.
    The relative clasue, also called parenthetic, can be omitted as it only adds additional information to the fact that the lady is a very old friend of my mother's Please note that it is contained by two commas .
    I hope this will help you clarify your doubts.

Re: Determiner/Pronoun from violet91, posted on 12-07-2015 at 23:24:18 (D | E)
    Hello passenger and carlabice ,
    I am sorry but I don't quite agree with what is said above ...
    Whose is A WH -word ( a Wh-question word ) is either a determiner or a pronoun .
    Whose car is that ? / Whose is that car ? : both interrogative sentences . Called wh -questions .
    As a declarative : - that is the lady whose car was vandalized . ( = of the one that ) : the lady is defined by a relative clause .
    As for a defining relative clause , there are no commas , I am afraid .
    The lady whose son won the prize is a friend of my mother's = the relative clause is determinative .( the lady here with her son ...) , and nobody else .
    Finally , just take these examples and you'll see the fact you used commas can change the whole meaning of the sentence .
    a) The pupils who have forgotten to do their homework will get a detention : determinative relative clause = those who = some of them , a few ( we hope ) = the pupils whose homework hasn't been done ...The rest of the class is ok !
    b ) The pupils, who haven't done their homework ,will get a detention ! - this relative clause is appositive = because ...: and the whole form is concerned ! The pupils , whose homework hasn't been done , will get a detention . What a shame , then , everybody will , no doubt ! ( because of the commas ) .
    You could imagine the following statement : 'the pupils ( addressing the whole lot or pointing at each of them in this form ) will get a detention . ' You have the result without knowing the reason and it is grammatical . The angry teacher or deputy head must be taking them to the detention room .
    Good luck .

Re: Determiner/Pronoun from carlabice47, posted on 13-07-2015 at 10:43:25 (D | E)
    Hi, Violet 91, I find your comment very interesting.
    Let's examine the two sentences:
    1 The boy whose bike was stolen went to the police : DEFINING RELATIVE PRONOUN
    2 Francis, whose bike was stolen, went to the police. NON DEFINING R. P.

I may have made a mistake in the second example using " the lady", instead of, let's say, Camilla.
    I do agree on the fact that a comma is never used in a defining relative clause-
    As regards the wh-pronouns you are right, I over exemplified the concept as they are all wh- pronouns and adverbs even if, usually, the interrogative pronouns are referred to as wh- ones .
    Thanks for the contribution,
    Bye

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 13-07-2015 11:33

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only