Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

We don't get .../help

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

We don't get .../help
    Message from findingsound posted on 28-08-2015 at 10:38:22 (D | E | F)
    Hi,
    I would like to know if it's ok to say "we don't get each other"?
    I know I can write "we don't understand each other" but it's for a song so I need a shorter verb.
    Thank you for your help!

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 28-08-2015 12:29

Re: We don't get .../help from melmoth, posted on 28-08-2015 at 12:02:49 (D | E)
    Hello,
    I think it's ok, in a familiar style. You don't get me: you don't understand what I mean/feel...
    Cheers

Re: We don't get .../help from findingsound, posted on 28-08-2015 at 14:19:21 (D | E)
    Great! Thank you very much!

Re: We don't get .../help from rkjs58, posted on 28-08-2015 at 16:23:52 (D | E)
    "We don't get each other" is a wrong sentence. You cannot use the word “get” in this way to replace the word “understand”. The word “get” can be used to express “understand” but in a different context. For example-
    You get me? (You understand what I am saying?)
    I get you. (I understand what you are saying).
    You have to use the word understand in a broader sense so you can use it in the way what you have said “we don’t understand each other”. But you want to use it for a song and you need it short, in that case my suggestion is to use a phrasal verb “get along" means have smooth relations”. You can say “we two just don’t get along”.

Re: We don't get .../help from franckll, posted on 28-08-2015 at 17:26:58 (D | E)
    Hi! I think there is no problem with the sentence "we don't get each other"

-------------------
    Edited by willy on 28-08-2015 19:46
    Just have a look at: "Don't think: expressing uncertainty" to correct your sentence.
    Example:
    - I think it won't rain tomorrow (wrong).
    - I don't think it'll rain tomorrow (Right).

Re: We don't get .../help from melmoth, posted on 28-08-2015 at 22:05:57 (D | E)
    Well, I beg to differ, rkjs58.
    We don't get along: we don't have a good relationship. We don't agree too well. We're not in good terms.
    We don't get each other: I don't understand what you're saying, and you don't understand what I'm saying. But we may be in good terms all the same, and willing to understand each other. We have a misunderstanding, which we may well end up clearing. Do we get each other? Cheers.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only