Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Question tag/help

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Question tag/help
    Message from javadjavad55 posted on 06-03-2016 at 18:57:26 (D | E | F)
    Hello,
    could you please help me figure this problem out?
    "Feeling a bit under the weather, are we?"
    What does "are we" here mean? Is it a question tag?
    Thank you for your answers.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 06-03-2016 19:34

Re: Question tag/help from sherry48, posted on 06-03-2016 at 22:46:22 (D | E)
    Hello.
    Yes, it is a question tag. Sometimes a nurse will ask this sort of question. Of course it should be singular and I'm not sure if patients like this format.
    Sherry

Re: Question tag/help from violet91, posted on 06-03-2016 at 22:53:58 (D | E)
    Hello javadjava ,
    You are right , your sentence finishes with a ' question tag ' , but the form of it is rare and enters the case of exceptional tags .
    Taking your example and reading it 'normally ' would go :
    1 ) We are feeling a bit under the weather , aren't we ?
    The statement is written in the affirmative form and the tag in the negative . There are three chances out of three you'll get an answer : - Yes we are or no we aren't . Although there are subtleties in the intonation , the question tag deserves its name of question ; the point is having an answer ( can be somedy knodding ) .
    2 ) Your example reads differently :
    - ( We are ) feeling a bit under the weather , are we ? The two forms are the same . Positive / positive ...it could be negative / negative . The 'question tag ' shouldn't be called exactly so . It is an exception and this choice ( not a real question ) is not asking for an answer ; it is more a way of expressing a feeling toward a situation or a statement : surprise , interest ,compassion , anger ...
    Shall I put it in other words and keep friendly ?
    - Ok ! That's right ! We're feeling a bit under the weather , hey ? ...but no more blues ! We must keep hope and we'll soon find a solution ! Trust life and all of us !
    The speaker wants to show his optimism and his wish to react calmly , wisely and thus gives them a push .

Hope this helps . Good night .

Re: Question tag/help from violet91, posted on 06-03-2016 at 23:05:16 (D | E)
    Hello sherry
    It had never occurred my mind ...but as you say , looking at it from this point of view ...The fact is as you also say, this should not be said in the plural and hospital people are now highly trained not to speak like that ... addressing patients like babies .
    Good night to you too .

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only