Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

My story/past tense

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

My story/past tense
    Message from suhasini posted on 18-10-2016 at 11:24:30 (D | E | F)
    Hello,
    I've written a small short story, using past tense.Yesterday I learned past tense,then i I wanted to write a story on past tense. So I'm requesting asking you,if any mistakes are appear in this story you notice mistakes, to correct them please.
    It'll be helpful for improving my English level.
    Thank you for any reply.

Yesterday i met one of my friends.It was a beautiful day.We talked about our good and bad and we remembered all our childhood things.While we are talking to each other,I met another childhood friend.we all had been talking for over two hours before my train arrived.I had to left them in that time,but i told them to meet meet me again at my home and i gave my address too,then they had come to give a send off before i left them.After that when i reached home, i sent a text to them.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 18-10-2016 14:17
    First of all, you have to write I instead of i

Re: My story/past tense from suhasini, posted on 18-10-2016 at 17:32:35 (D | E)
    Hello lucile83,
    Thank you for reply,
    But I have one doubt.What is the difference between I've written a small story and I've written a short story? I think they both give have the same meaning.If you could let me know my mistake,it'll will be helpful for to me.

Re: My story/past tense from lucile83, posted on 18-10-2016 at 22:03:04 (D | E)
    Hello,
    A story is written or read/told. It is long or short.It can't be small or ...big? large? wide? that would have no sense at all.
    Hope it helps.

Re: My story/past tense from sherry48, posted on 18-10-2016 at 22:49:41 (D | E)
    Hello.
    I am addressing only problems with tenses.
    Yesterday i met one of my friends.It was a beautiful day.We talked about our good and bad and we remembered all our childhood things.While we are talking to each other,I met another childhood friend.we all had been talking for over two hours before my train arrived.I had to left (your main verb is correct) them in that time,but i told them to meet meet me again at my home and i gave my address too,then they had come (you could use simple past tense here) to give a send off before i left them.After that when i reached home, i sent a text to them.
    I think you can correct these few problems.
    Regards,
    Sherry

Re: My story/past tense from suhasini, posted on 19-10-2016 at 10:15:35 (D | E)
    Hello lucile83 and sherry48,

First of all,I thank you for replying and telling my mistakes too.I'll never do those mistakes again.Sherry I could see my mistakes in that story,so I wrote my story again.I don't know this time if my story is right or wrong.I'm just trying to overcome my mistakes in English.If you notice any mistake please help me.

Yesterday I met one of my friends.It was a beautiful day.We talked about our good and bad and we remembered all our childhood things.While we were(here I've changed were instead of are)talking to each other,I met another childhood friend.
    We all had been talking for over two hours before my train arrived.I had to leave(here I changed the second verb)them in that time,but I told them to meet me again at my home and I gave my address too,then they had come to give a send off before I left them.After that when I reached home,then I sent a text to them.

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 20-10-2016 08:22

Re: My story/past tense from sherry48, posted on 19-10-2016 at 22:36:49 (D | E)
    Hello again.
    You have improved your past tense story with your corrections, but you can use the simple tense of the verb to come for 'they had come to give a send off'. There are other things you could improve, but I only corrected the tense.
    Regards.
    Sherry

Re: My story/past tense from lucile83, posted on 20-10-2016 at 08:36:51 (D | E)
    Hello,
    Errors in blue; a few useless words have been crossed out.

Yesterday I met one of my friends.It was a beautiful day.We talked about our good and bad ...a word is missing and we remembered all our childhood things.While we were talking to each other,I met another childhood friend.
    We all had been talking for over two hours before my train arrived.I had to leave them in that time,but I told them to meet me again at my home and I gave my address too,then they had come to give a send off before I left them.After that when I reached home,then I sent a text to them.

Re: My story/past tense from suhasini, posted on 20-10-2016 at 10:10:54 (D | E)
    Hello lucile83 and sherry48,
    Okay teacher I'll correct those sentences,but I have few doubts on tenses and articles.

What is the difference between those sentences?
    I've lived here for 2 years.
    I've been living here for 2 years.
    I know both actions started in past,and are still continuing.I want to know when we choose the former sentence? and when do we use the second sentence?
    xxx

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 20-10-2016 11:39
    You can't ask several questions in one message...You can read a lot of lessons on the site as well.

Re: My story/past tense from lucile83, posted on 20-10-2016 at 11:46:04 (D | E)
    Hello,
    I've lived here for 2 years. ...that is a simple assessment.
    I've been living here for 2 years. ...here you insist on the length of the action.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only