Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

British/ American accent: your opinions (4)

<< English only || Bottom

This topic is now closed. You can't post a new reply.

Page 4 / 4 - To jump to another page: Top | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | End | Bottom
    Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by arabi, posted on 24-08-2008 at 12:07:01
    Thank you for this subject,
    I find the British accent and espicialy the southern is sweeter and plainer than the American accent.

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by biba05, posted on 27-08-2008 at 18:42:32
    hi,both are cool and unique but i prefer the american english,for me it's kind of easy and comun.besids it's most using.

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by ilikeacity, posted on 30-08-2008 at 10:59:04
    i think that American english is easy to read,and write.

but i like english accent,because i study Briten english for many years when i am at school. if i study american english again , it will cost me a lot of time to improve my listenling about english.

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by agali, posted on 07-09-2008 at 13:54:21
    HELLO ALL OF YOU
    personally, I like speaking americans because the accent is beautiful.

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by agali, posted on 07-09-2008 at 14:09:13
    I study american english, it is quite good, but it is more difficult to catch the word in listen comprehension. the speakers swallow and have sespecial pronunciation

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by violet91, posted on 07-09-2008 at 16:04:41
    I do love and respect the very Britih pronunciation.To me, American is not as musical and pure. You can also make mistakes when listening..English is taught with the British accent ,first.

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by sarasae, posted on 21-09-2008 at 10:30:27
    I'm the same as u....lol

however,if you can still understand and speak in any accent u want,I think,it won't be a problem.No matter it's American or British English,they're still English,right?Only a few diffrences that we have to over come...

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by mezzodazz, posted on 28-09-2008 at 10:32:25
    i like american accent coz it's easy to get what they say but i prefer learning british english anyway.

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by simonliu, posted on 28-09-2008 at 11:07:15
    this is my first message in this website.

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by ashrough, posted on 09-10-2008 at 12:58:17
    I love the American accent. For me I like how 'better', 'butter', 'center' are pronounced!!! It is a personal choice. Maybe the British accent or more precisely what is called the RP is more related to the elite and the high class.
    So the RP will never suit me because I came from the middle clas!!!

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by amberzhou, posted on 10-10-2008 at 10:31:18
    Both American accent and British accent are OK. Both of them are beautiful, but I prefer British English. In China, I find that more and more people are learning to speak American accent, because it seems easier for them. What's more, it's much more convenient to download American information. So, I found it harder to speak standard British English, as I am influenced by American accent around.

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by clairevinc, posted on 10-10-2008 at 11:34:36
    Hello everyone,

I'm French and I was taught "British English" like most Europeans as someone pointed out on this forum.
    There was a time when, even if speaking English very decently, I couldn't (to my distress) understand most American films. Something about the gangster mashed potato syndrom if I may say? (not being critical)
    I used to prefer British English when it came to the choice of words, richness of expressions and to the accent. To me it was clearer, easier to understand, and I was said to have a strong British accent.
    The majority of friends I have thought the contrary, that American English was easier to understand and that the accent was nicer, less "posh" as you say.

I went several times to the US and being open-minded, well I changed my mind!
    It all depends now on who is speaking it (no matter what the country is) and what level of language they have. I am not an elitist, please do not misunderstand me. Several friends of mine in the US (and their families) speak a marvellous English, a rich language, and I must say that some Southern accents are very much enjoyable.
    Even if my education for some strange reason kind of brings me back to British literature, I began to appreciate different American writers (for instance Ernest Hemingway, Truman Capote, Philipp Roth, John Irving).

To me, there is nothing like "British English is better than American English" or the contrary. American English can globally be more direct, more practical, more accessible somehow too. The message goes through quickly and no wonder why American English and culture have reached Europe that much. When it comes to a foreign language, practicality and a simple but effective communication are two dreamt goals. British English somehow remains less reachable and indeed sometimes "posh", but it has a richness, a fine quality of "humour" and in all its accents, a diversity that makes it so very likeable too.

To conclude on an accent note, I would say that the ability to catch either of them very much depends on the ability of people to catch accents thanks to a capable ear and on their skills for foreign languages in general.

In any case, I love English with a big "E" as we say in French. No matter which one. Diversity creates richness.

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by lafrench, posted on 10-10-2008 at 15:13:12
    i'm not agree, i prefer american accent....really!

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by cecilward, posted on 19-10-2008 at 16:13:49
    Bad news. There is no such thing as "the British accent". In Britain pronunciation of English varies greatly. Each part of England has differing dialects, and English dialects in Scotland differ greatly from say BBC newsreader English from the South of England. Similarly, in Wales, Ireland and the Scottish Highlands varieties of English are found that are different in many important respects from BBC newsreader English.

The term British English may have originated in misuse by Americans who don't know the British Isles.

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by cecilward, posted on 19-10-2008 at 16:14:48
    Students can take a look at the audio and video clips on the BBC website to find regional examples.

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by TravisKidd, posted on 23-10-2008 at 04:28:03
    Well there are different American accents too (although surprisingly few of them, given the size of the country), but I believe we are comparing the "standard" accents that one would hear on TV, say, by CNN news anchors as opposed to BBC news anchors.

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by wanshunkang, posted on 01-11-2008 at 02:14:56
    i like british accent. it's more commfotable!

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by dark_queen, posted on 04-11-2008 at 15:53:35
    I think I like Britist accent because it's really excellent. I've ever heard the accent and I like it. It's so fast and it isn't clear, either. If we are beginner, it's so hard to hear and so we'll think about it in another side.They dont press each syllable or pronounce clearly. But it's really beautiful. It's about Britist accent. They also have a lot of differences between British English and American English. But you can listen many words in songs with American accent. It's so interesting. Therefore, each of them are good and exciting. So we can speak English by the way you like. It's up to you!

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by reem1401, posted on 04-11-2008 at 18:55:31
    hello
    iam anew member iam so happy to share you and i am hoping to greet me with you . i am speaking Arabic but i am an english teacher and i have more problem in speak fluently ..
    my english is british accent not amrican .. if you excuse me to say my opinion .. i think britsh accent is easier than amrican one .. Thinks for this greet subject .

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by pafatounie, posted on 10-11-2008 at 02:20:05
    Formely, I hated british accent, when I was young, it sounded very strange for me. It was very difficult for me to understand it.
    Because of where I live, in the French West Indies, the american accent is more familiar to me. I got CNN and BET and it influenced me a lot.
    But now, when I hear the british accent I like it pretty much, it's quite sexy.
    But american accent is first!!

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by betyboop, posted on 27-11-2008 at 18:51:12
    hello! Yes I do understand that most french prefer the american accent!
    It's normale because the british english is the correct accent. Let me explaine Why because americans pronouce english badly its transformed and that's why it is easy for others to understand easer. Please don't misunderstand me I've nothing against american accent, but when we think of it in every language if we're not native we all have our accent which people understand more or less. But that what makes the world go round.
    Wishing you a good evening

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by little0ne, posted on 29-11-2008 at 20:04:26
    Hi Guys...!
    I'm speaking french but i'm Quebec city...
    And the choice is very tough lol. I love the American or Canadian accent because it's easier to understand for me, but i'm in love with English accent lol. I really love the way they speak, even if i don't understand everything they said xD.

I think it's like french from Canada and French from France: both are corrects, they are just different, that's it. I don't think one is better than other or more "pure". However, i don't know exactly which one we see on school, but I think it's the Canadian/American accent.

So...I really enjoy accent and English^^

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by deadlikeme, posted on 06-01-2009 at 01:49:44
    I think that it's much easier for a french person to learn english with the American Accent, I mean as many of you already said the American accent is more natural than the british one.
    Moreover, I don't know but to me it seems that in french high schools the british accent is only accessible for girls, it's really hard for a french boy with a strong voice to speak like a real british person.

And seriously why don't english teachers tend to use American audio document ? Why do french teachers always use british document such as BBC ?
    And why do they yell at pupils who use an American accent ?

Have you ever wondered why french pupils are usually known to be the worse students regarding the english language?

I think there's a problem in french schools, the english is too "british" there.

And now the english accent is outmoded, people around the world tend to use a "standard english" which is more an American one than a british one.

By the way I'm afraid of something, I'm 17 years old and I'd like to do "LLCE ANGLAIS", do you think that a pure british accent is required ?
    Or is the American accent authorized in "LLCE ANGLAIS " ?

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by liviagiura, posted on 09-01-2009 at 20:37:52

i think it's much easier to speak with an American accent.

-------------------
    Modifié par liviagiura le 09-01-2009 20:41

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by psdu92, posted on 13-01-2009 at 14:18:58
    What do you think about the differences between American and British English in term of pronunciation ? Which "accent" do you prefer ? Why ?

Yes I agree, I prefer American accent than English one.
    I is my own problem : the English pronunciation but in my job, I have the possibility to ask people to send me an e-mail.

Often I don't understand what the person wants to tell me because it is a stranger speaking English. It is less true now because I had got English lessons by phone and Internet so it helps me to understand better English.

Don't worry ! Even if your accent is a French one, you try to speak English and foreigners are enjoyed to hear this.

If it is too difficult for you to understand, do like me : I prefer to ask the person to send an e-mail so you can have a look and ask some help. The foreigners are not afraid about this way of doing.

Be more self confident and try more and more.

Best regards
    PSDU92

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by kornegi, posted on 15-01-2009 at 11:55:35
    I think that we must learn British english , becouse American english have many slang and we can't the learn english fluently

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by deadlikeme, posted on 18-01-2009 at 23:37:55
    To kornegi:

Well you haven't understood anything...
    Learning english is not a matter of studying an old-fashioned british english, it's a matter of being able to understand a standard english and therefore being able to be understood by anyone who speaks standard english too and aslo to be able to understand someone who speaks standard english.

The American accent is more and more taught in the new powerful nations, not like in france of course...

And don't you see the disaster in france ? how many french students out of 100% quit high school without being able to speak english in forein coutries?
    About 80% I'd say

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by rebeccald, posted on 29-01-2009 at 11:18:18
    I really love the accent of British English, and it sounds so beautiful.

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by leonhuang, posted on 26-02-2009 at 03:24:27
    My accent is a mixture of American and British English.

Re: British/ American accent: your opinions by seham2009, posted on 26-02-2009 at 05:35:10
    hi
    and thank u for the nice topic
    in my opinion American language is more easier than British
    especially for Arabic people
    and thank u