Learn English 100% free...Get 1 free lesson per week // Add a new lesson

Click here to log in
New account
Millions of accounts created on our sites.
JOIN our free club and learn English now!

• Home
  • Print
  • Guestbook
  • Report a bug

• Get a free English lesson every week!
    Click here!

Partners:
    - Our other sites

Which function/help (2)

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Page 2 / 2 - To jump to another page: Top | 1 | 2 | End | Bottom
    Re: Which function/help from gerondif, posted on 19-06-2012 at 00:05:21 (D | E)
    Hello,

The man, (while he was) standing not far from the blue car waved his hand to us.
    another reason why "while " doesn't fit.

You would say: The man, who happened to be standing not far from the blue car, waved his hand to us. This non defining relative clause is a detail that you could suppress: The man waved his hand to us.

The man that was standing near the blue car waved his hand to us. That man, not any other. It is a restrictive defining relative clause which you couldn't suppress.

But there is NO reason why you should use "while" after a comma (,) to insist on simultaneity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello!
    You mean that clause withwhile must be only at the beginning of the sentence? NO
    either at the beginning or after the main clause.
    He stole my money while I was sleeping.

Living not far from us, these/some/ students often came to visit us.(because they were living)- adverbial function
    Students living not far from us often came to visit us. -attributive function.

Yes, if you like, but what does it bring you to pin down "adverbial" or attributive" on those ing forms ??

Re: Which function/help from a_limon, posted on 19-06-2012 at 00:46:49 (D | E)
    Yes, if you like, but what does it bring you to pin down "adverbial" or attributive" on those ing forms ??
    But I would like to know the difference in meaming. English participles don't change their ends,when they play adverbial function, in contrast to Russian ones. That is why it seems difficult to specify...I'm not sure you understand me.I could explain it to you in PM, if you want,using "the Russian adverbial and attributive participle" They are different at all.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only
    Page 2 / 2 - To jump to another page: Top | 1 | 2 | End | Bottom