Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Phrasal Verbs/help

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Phrasal Verbs/help
Message from passenger75 posted on 20-06-2014 at 13:09:59 (D | E | F)
Hello,wish you have a good time.

After years of studying English, I've found phrasal verbs the subtlest facet of this language.
So I would appreciate any help, including mentioning an efficient method,a good app for Android,a utile book.
And please help me find an adequate way to learn listening well.
Thanks in advance.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 20-06-2014 21:27

Re: Phrasal Verbs/help from carlabice47, posted on 23-06-2014 at 19:06:22 (D | E)
Hello,

Phrasal verbs are treacherous and difficult to learn: some of them complete the meaning of the verb they go with:e.g.
"up" reinforces the meaning of the verb: speak up (speak louder), blow up ( explode );"off" gives an idea of detachment ( take off, put off, cut off ). Many others change the meaning of the verb completely : make up ( to make peace after a quarrel)), to lie , to put foundation cream on your face, etc. It's not easy to find a method to learn them properly: sometimes the only way is the traditional way of memorising sentences containing them.
I'd start by studying all the different meanings of to TAKE + adverb or preposition ( one of the richest in meaning).
As regards listening , I'd advise you to watch a film with subtitles , and , after a few times of watching it , to hide the subtitles . This will help you recognise the sounds and meaning. Your ears will get used to understanding sounds in a sentence and the prosody ( rhythm and intonation) of the sentence itself. The same thing can be done with songs and lyrics .
I know my piece of advice cannot solve your problem completely, but do try !!!

Have a good time,
carlabice47

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 23-06-2014 19:12

Re: Phrasal Verbs/help from passenger75, posted on 23-06-2014 at 20:15:44 (D | E)
Thanks a lot.

Re: Phrasal Verbs/help from clint01, posted on 24-06-2014 at 08:16:03 (D | E)
Hello Carlabice47,
I have been studying English for a very long time. I usually watch movies with the subtitles several times. I have got to admit it helps improve your listening. But I am not yet very good at listening. I don't know what's wrong, sometimes I can understand the movie completely, sometimes I just understand fifty to eighty (give or take five) percent of the dialogue. I understand formal English much better than informal one.
Yours truly,
Clint

Re: Phrasal Verbs/help from here4u, posted on 24-06-2014 at 14:14:36 (D | E)
Hello passenger and all of you

Yes, Phrasal Verbs are quite tricky for foreigners learning English On this very site, there are more than 10 pages of links to help you ...
I've just noted a few of them
Link

Link

Link

I think the solution of the films (or series) in English is an excellent one, but I'd advise you to watch them with the English subtitles ... so that you'd be sure to get the meaning of the story, and little by little, you could write down the new expressions as they 'come by' ...'up' or 'across' !!!
Hope you'll do it ! it works !

Re: Phrasal Verbs/help from passenger75, posted on 26-06-2014 at 16:36:06 (D | E)
Thank you all for your help.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux