Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Use of the word /drop

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Use of the word /drop
Message from manu34 posted on 29-06-2014 at 22:40:30 (D | E | F)
Hi !

I wish you could help me : If I want to say somebody "try again ! Even if you failed keep fighting until you reached your goal! ", can I say "Never drop" in order to resume ?
Actually, I plan to have a second tattoo which would express this idea of insisting in the pursuit of your dreams but I'm not sure "never drop" is suitable for that.
Thank you !

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 30-06-2014 07:43

Re: Use of the word /drop from jonquille, posted on 30-06-2014 at 01:49:36 (D | E)
Hi,

I think "Never give up" would be better. "Never drop" would make someone ask you..."drop what?" (usually meaning a thing, not an idea)
Hope this helps!

Re: Use of the word /drop from manu34, posted on 30-06-2014 at 09:51:02 (D | E)
thank you !

Re: Use of the word /drop from siren12, posted on 30-06-2014 at 10:58:08 (D | E)
Hello,
-you can say ,never drop out your dreams for example.
"Never drop " seems not does not seem exact .
--"To drop "can be used with other prepositions with other meanings.

--to sleep a bit:to drop off
--to let somebody somewhere or something somewhere : to drop off
can you drop me off a bus station?
May I drop my bicycle off this street?

--to reduce: to drop away
--to be late: to drop behind
--to fall: to drop down
--to visit somebody : to drop in
I hope my commentary would be useful .

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 30-06-2014 18:17

Re: Use of the word /drop from gerondif, posted on 30-06-2014 at 11:12:04 (D | E)
Hello,Siren
I would have said:
Can you drop me off at the bus station?
Can I drop my bike off in this street ?
Never drop out of your dreams (sounds strange)
the verb is given as intransitive in the dictionary :
drop out vi intransitive: abandonner

Re: Use of the word /drop from siren12, posted on 30-06-2014 at 12:43:08 (D | E)
Hi Gerondif

Thank you for your reply.
you're right.
To drop out is an intransitive verb
However to drop can be transitif:laisser tomber
and intransitif: tomber

Re: Use of the word /drop from manu34, posted on 30-06-2014 at 12:43:46 (D | E)
Thanks Siren it helps a lot.
I think I'll write "Never give up", it seems better for the tattoo I plan to make ('cause it's shorter)

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 30-06-2014 18:19

Re: Use of the word /drop from clint01, posted on 30-06-2014 at 17:16:28 (D | E)
Hello,
I suggest writing 'never tattoo again' write them in 'your heart'

-------------------
Edited by clint01 on 30-06-2014 17:17

Re: Use of the word /drop from here4u, posted on 30-06-2014 at 17:27:22 (D | E)
Hello !
Am I mistaken or no one mentioned the only phrase that sprang to my mind with 'drop out' ...'drop out of school" ... but it's colloquial, if not slang ...

Re: Use of the word /drop from clint01, posted on 01-07-2014 at 00:58:59 (D | E)
Hello
we can add 'drop out of sight' too

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux